vibration - low fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vibration - low fluid?

05 stx 4x4 screw

I drive about 41 miles one way to/from work. when I was a few miles from home I got off the highway and started down the 55mph roads. once I was to the speed limit, I could feel a slight shutter, not in the steering wheel. I did a little weaving, no change. I noticed when I did brakes a couple weeks back that one of the rear axle seals was leaking. OK, its on the list to change... soon.

Would a low gear oil level create it to shutter? Im guessing cooking the bearing/seals? I dont know if its low or not, just guessing. My wife is picking up a bottle of mobile 75w-140 gear oil on her way home from work.

Just please tell me I didnt warp one of the axles or worse the pinion gears.

what do you guys think?

Ken

Old 05-17-2011, 07:13 AM
added about a half quart before it started spilling back out at me. on the drive in this morning it did not recreate the problem. However, I reached through the spokes of the rime and touched both rear drums to check the temp. Driver side was hot, to the point of 2 seconds and my brain said pull away. Sooo, I'm guessing the bearing/seal is shot? I just changed it just over a year ago when I changed the other side.

any thoughts? anyone? hello, is thing on?

Ken

Old 05-17-2011, 02:48 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
More likely is a dragging parking brake.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by glc
More likely is a dragging parking brake.
yup. I changed the bearing/seal on that side, since it truely needed it. in doing so, I inspected the caliper and it did not want to open back up. I pulled the shoes off and used a c plamp on the piston to open it all the way and it chattered... Im guessing from the heat treatment it got, it got over hardened and became brittle.

Soooo, I will be picking up a new rotor and caliper tomorrow.... nickle/dime/quarter.... benjamin... another benjamin....

On a side note, I think I actually like the new one piece bearing/seal Timken makes.

Ken

Quick Reply: vibration - low fluid?