04-08 8.8 Aftermarket Axles?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 10:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04-08 8.8 Aftermarket Axles?

After believing that i had blown my truetrac, because every time I would make a right turn with power applied it would pop and grind, and ordering a Ford Racing Traction Lok to replace it, I got a surprise.

My axle is broke in half. The only thing holding my axle to my truck was the brake caliper. When I would make a right turn, the caliper would allow enough movement to let the axle slightly come out of the truetrac, causing the pop and grind described above.

So, anyone know of aftermarket axles that would fit my 2007, 8.8" 31 spline rear end? I understand I'm not pushing too much power for the factory axles, but I figure I can get better axles for my money by going aftermarket.

I probably caused this by all the side to side drifting i do in the winter time.

Thanx for any help

Franck

Pics

(Those 2 pieces are suppose to be 1)

Last edited by FarmerFranck; 04-17-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:32 PM
check Rockauto.com they sell them.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:45 AM
Originally Posted by steven'sf1504x4
check Rockauto.com they sell them.
"No parts found" is what i come up with. I find quite a few options for 97-03 f-150 with 8.8". Those axles may fit, but I need a 6 bolt hub.

Last edited by FarmerFranck; 04-17-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:34 AM
A worst case scenario, if the 97-03 would fit the housing in your truck would be to use an adapter/spacer. Might not be a totally bad idea, if your truck is lifted and has a slight bulldog stance, this could also fix that for you too.

Just an idea.......

Old 04-17-2011, 09:58 AM
Try Randy's Ring and Pinion. They make axles that are of a 1541 alloy steel , a couple steps stronger than the 1050 carbon steel stock units, or super strong 4340 chrome-moly.

That's the first time I've ever seen the c-clip button broken off an axle. Some years back, when Warn first started building axles, one of their engineers told me that they decided to see how much force it would take to break the button off the end of an axle. They had a BIG hydraulic press and it took a lot to bust the button... somewhere around 30 tons of force is what I remember.

The only time I heard of this was when a car was in an accident. Did you maybe bump a curb hard? Hard to believe the axle would go before the wheel rim, though.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by swazo
A worst case scenario, if the 97-03 would fit the housing in your truck would be to use an adapter/spacer. Might not be a totally bad idea, if your truck is lifted and has a slight bulldog stance, this could also fix that for you too.

Just an idea.......
Sorry, but i am NOT doing adapters/spacer. That's a shady way of fixing the problem. I'll get OEM ford axles before i do that. Thanx for the reply/help tho.

Originally Posted by JimAllen
Try Randy's Ring and Pinion. They make axles that are of a 1541 alloy steel , a couple steps stronger than the 1050 carbon steel stock units, or super strong 4340 chrome-moly.

That's the first time I've ever seen the c-clip button broken off an axle. Some years back, when Warn first started building axles, one of their engineers told me that they decided to see how much force it would take to break the button off the end of an axle. They had a BIG hydraulic press and it took a lot to bust the button... somewhere around 30 tons of force is what I remember.

The only time I heard of this was when a car was in an accident. Did you maybe bump a curb hard? Hard to believe the axle would go before the wheel rim, though.
I'll make a few phone calls on monday to some axle shops, see if they can lead me in the right direction. The only way I figure this would happen is by drifting sideways on snow and hitting a patch of dry pavement. Although, I can't recall anytime I jerked the truck violently enough to break an axle.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:08 PM
oh sorry man, i should have looked to see if they had one for your truck befor i suggested rockauto mybad.

Trending Topics

Old 04-17-2011, 09:52 PM
I bought Yukon axles,along with the gears,so I would guess you could get a set of them for your truck,too.Any diff/trans. shop or site could help you out. I got mine at accuautoparts.com,or you could try Randy's Ring and pinion, or DiffsOnly
Easy to do the job in the driveway, and you might as well change your wheel bearings and seals, while you have it all pulled apart.

Last edited by sledman62; 04-17-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:00 AM
I bought Nitro Axles for the rearend of my 04, they are the 1541 alloy steel which are 25-30% stronger than stock, figured I mide as well replace/upgrade those while doing my 4.88s I got them from http://www.justdifferentials.com/ind...ain_page=index

Old 04-25-2011, 12:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sledman62
I bought Yukon axles,along with the gears,so I would guess you could get a set of them for your truck,too.Any diff/trans. shop or site could help you out. I got mine at accuautoparts.com,or you could try Randy's Ring and pinion, or DiffsOnly
Easy to do the job in the driveway, and you might as well change your wheel bearings and seals, while you have it all pulled apart.
X2 on the Yukon's, I have them in my truck!

Quick Reply: 04-08 8.8 Aftermarket Axles?