who has a detroit locker?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 10:06 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
look on youtube of how to put one in.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you do any kind of icy/snow driving, stay away from the detroit locker! With both wheels locked up on the highway, you have no side-to-side stability control.(Actually, the safest rear end for icy condition on the highway is an open dif. When one wheel spins, the "non-spinning" wheels acts as an anchor to keep your vehicle straight). So a limited slip is a good comprise between open diff and locker.

I've been running a detroit truetrac with my 2007 4.2 5spd 2wd for just over a year now, and it's absolutely great. Haven't heard any noise from it yet, and both wheels grab when I need it to. In fact, I was fooling around down a snow covered road last weekend when i put the rear of the truck in a ditch. I slowly let go of the clutch and the truck pulled out. My old open diff would had left me right there! I live in northern ontario, so you can imagine the snowy condiction this truck sees.

If you do get the detroit truetrac, read up on gear oils that are compatible with it. I'm running Ford Motorcraft 75w140 syn without any friction modifier and it runs great. Some oils cause it to whine. (IMO, oils that have pre-mixed friction modifier don't play well with the DTT)

Old 02-06-2011, 11:07 PM
so the DTT just goes in the middle of the big gear (idk the termanology) correct? so when i change to 4.10 gears i can just do it all at once correct?

Old 02-06-2011, 11:12 PM
The DTT replaces the stock carrier http://www.4x4wire.com/ford/reviews/arb9in/diffin.jpg and the new ring gear goes on the DTT. Same with the locker and any other LS or anything except for the powertrax locker and if you were just rebuilding the stock LS.
Question for ya farmer or anyone else with a DTT, if I dump the clutch on dry roads will it roast both tires like my stock LS sometimes does and a locker would always do, or will it just act like an open diff.
Sorry the first picture didn't work, changed it.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by 01f1502wd
so the DTT just goes in the middle of the big gear (idk the termanology) correct? so when i change to 4.10 gears i can just do it all at once correct?
Yep, tthe best time to do your LS is when you do gears.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
so the DTT would work even if i had one wheel in the air?

Old 02-06-2011, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by russo2
The DTT replaces the stock carrier http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/images/carrier.gif and the new ring gear goes on the DTT. Same with the locker and any other LS or anything except for the powertrax locker and if you were just rebuilding the stock LS.
Question for ya farmer or anyone else with a DTT, if I dump the clutch on dry roads will it roast both tires like my stock LS sometimes does and a locker would always do, or will it just act like an open diff.
Both tires will burn. I haven't had a single "one wheel peel" since I have the unit.

On the other hand, a buddy of mine with a 2008 5.4 F-150 and 30k miles with factory limited slip (clutch type) will do one wheel peels when the pavement is wet.

DTT> clutch type

Old 02-06-2011, 11:19 PM
I hate when my stock LS leaves me with one wheel peels. Really irks my taters,
I almost got stuck a couple weeks ago cause the LS was well, slipping, and only one front and one back tire were diggin through the snow.
Three feet of snow actually haha.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by str8t six
so the DTT would work even if i had one wheel in the air?
As far as i know, no. One tire has to have a certain amount of friction to send power to the other tire.

Now, a trick i have heard for this situation is to apply a bit of parking brake to create some friction on the wheel in the air.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Provided the DTT will roast both tires and get me through some seriously deep snow, I'm goin for that over the locker.
Seems like the locker is better for a pure mud truck, in which case you'd save by doing a lincoln locker or a spool.
Are there any other brands of a Clutchless limited slip like the DTT that might not carry the Eaton/ Detroit price tag?

Old 02-06-2011, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by russo2
Provided the DTT will roast both tires and get me through some seriously deep snow, I'm goin for that over the locker.
Seems like the locker is better for a pure mud truck, in which case you'd save by doing a lincoln locker or a spool.
Are there any other brands of a Clutchless limited slip like the DTT that might not carry the Eaton/ Detroit price tag?
The only other gear type LSD i know if is the Ford Racing Torsen, which is actually more expensive.

Here's a nice write up on DTT

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/TrueTrac.shtml#TrueTrac

Old 02-06-2011, 11:37 PM
I just looked into pricing and every other LSD as using the clutch style. I know some of them are far beyond the factory style, but even so the DTT is cheaper than most other ones and only a little more than the cheapest one anyway.
DTT ftw. I'll definitely be getting a DTT for the front and rear with new gears.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:10 AM
The ride is definetly a little more rough with a locker.

Last edited by offroadn'98; 02-07-2011 at 01:14 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:30 AM
Being I run these, All i can say is they are awesome. I have them in the front and rear of my 97. I have had them since 07 when I was really putting my tuck places it shouldnt go. I have never had one failure. Even over the past weekend pulling a 7k lb trailer down a wet clay road I didnt even need 4wd to get thru to where i was going.. Definitely a mod i would do again..

I dont have lockers, I have tru-trac's....

Old 02-07-2011, 02:09 AM
hmmm... now reading this i wouldnt mind a DTT. but with the 9.75 they dont make it do they? i couldnt find it. i know they options i have are factory ls detriot arb and like mine open. left me hanging only TWICE! can you believe that? all the off roading i do and only twice! haha once in super thick heavy mud and 2nd i got high centered. not opens fault but lockers would have been nice. so anyways... is the a DTT for my rear end or am i stuck with a detroit like ive been looking into getting?

Quick Reply: who has a detroit locker?