'07 Scab 4x4 - wierd noise from pass front - ideas??

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 12:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 Scab 4x4 - wierd noise from pass front - ideas??

Hey all!

I have an '07 F-150 SuperCab XLT 4x4, 5.4, 3.73's and the electronic shift 4x4. 43,000 miles.

We have had 3 major snow storms around here, and I've driven about 300 - 400 miles in 4 wheel drive the past few days. (My commute is 100 miles a day). I have not driven on dry pavement in 4WD.

The past 2 days, I have been getting a wierd noise from the pass front while in 2WD. It comes and goes, usually around 2000 rpm, above 40 mph, only while under a load (going up a hill, accelerating, etc.) It sounds like if you're dragging a metal radio antenna on the ground. It's a metal "chinging squeal". I have found that if I flick the **** into 4 HIGH while the noise is happening, it will go away as soon as the "4x4HI" light comes on. I also have noticed that I feel like a moan / gear noise sometimes while I am coming to a stop in 2WD, which again I can get to stop by engaging 4WD. I had the truck in park and neutral and revved it to around 2000 rpm's but there was no noise so it's only when you're moving.

I live in 2 miles up in the mountains and the truck is definitely either in 2WD or 4x4 while going up my road. I am suspecting that the pass front hub is not disengaging all the way or something along those lines... I have tried backing up 20 or more feet after shifting from 4x4 to 4x2 to disengage the hubs, but the noises still come back.

The only other thing I can think of is the the truck is completely trashed from the weather - it has never ever been this dirty and grime covered and it has been seriously cold here for days on end so maybe something is frozen?? It's 6 degrees out as I type this.

As a PS - I am also thinking i can hear a vaccum / sucking noise from under the hood while under load now too...

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by copcarguy; 01-14-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I began thinking about what led up to this problem, and remembered the truck was fine until I had to drive through a snow drift that was higher than the fog lights for about 200 ft. The problem began right after that...

After reading about IWE's, vacuum lines, etc. and googling the service manual, I went outside to see what was up. Since I was hearing the noises from the pass side I began to investigate there. Everything looked like it was where it was supposed to be. I went to the drivers side, and sure enough the vacuum lines were pulled off the IWE and smooshed up above the frame rail. I guess the deep snow must've yanked them right off. I pulled them down, put the clips back where they belonged, cleaned up everything, and went out on the highway. Seems to be working fine now...

I just hope nothing got seriously hurt because I drove 150 miles with the vacuum lines open and the pass side trying to engage the IWE like the drivers side was...

Quick Reply: '07 Scab 4x4 - wierd noise from pass front - ideas??