Size of Locker

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Size of Locker

I have a 2007 4.6L V8 F-150 and i was looking to get a locking diff. but the only one i can find that will fit my truck is Detroit Locker 225SL56A i was wondering if there is a locker that will fit my truck thats a bit cheaper. thanks

Old 11-28-2010, 01:05 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Are you sure you are looking at the right part number? Do you have the HD payload package with the 7 lug axles and 10.25 rear axle or the standard 6 lug 9.75" axle?

Typically the only less expensive lockers are "lunch box" lockers that install in an open differential, from Aussie lockers or Richmond Gear (lock right). Neither of them list an application for the 9.75 rear axle, but Richmond lists a lock right for a 10.25 rear axle as part number 1840. It does NOT list it for the F150 with the 10.25 rear axle, but if that's what your truck has it MAY work, you would need to contact them to be sure, after verifying the axle under your truck.
http://www.richmondgear.com/powertra...lications.html

I had an Aussie locker in a previous truck, and a Detroit in my current truck. My experience was that the Aussie locker was actually smoother, but I cannot say for sure if the lock right is the same.

Whatever you choose, contact Wayne at http://www.diffsonly.com/catalog/
Tell him that I sent you. I bought gears/bearings/lockers for him for several hundred less than anyone else would sell them, I highly recommend him.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:05 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Are you sure you are looking at the right part number? Do you have the HD payload package with the 7 lug axles and 10.25 rear axle or the standard 6 lug 9.75" axle?
Neither - the 4.6 has a 8.8" rear.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:12 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by glc
Neither - the 4.6 has a 8.8" rear.
Really? I thought they ditched the 31 spline 8.8" in the newer body style (04+). I have never seen one at least. The part number for the detroit locker he posted was for a 10.25/10.50 axle.

Last edited by brianjwilson; 11-28-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:46 PM
So what was the answer? What locker works best with the 4.6L 31 spline 8.8

I have a 2006 F-150XL 4.6L 8.8 rear and Im wanting to put a locker in along with a 3" level kit for some NITTO 325-60-18 TERRA GRAPPLER TIRES. I just want a little better traction in bad weather, Not off road mudding or anything like that.

Last edited by Rvtec88; 12-15-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by brianjwilson
.... Richmond lists a lock right for a 10.25 rear axle as part number 1840. It does NOT list it for the F150 with the 10.25 rear axle, but if that's what your truck has it MAY work, you would need to contact them to be sure, after verifying the axle under your truck.
http://www.richmondgear.com/powertra...lications.html

Whatever you choose, contact Wayne at http://www.diffsonly.com/catalog/
Tell him that I sent you. I bought gears/bearings/lockers for him for several hundred less than anyone else would sell them, I highly recommend him.
Brian, FYI, the 7-lug axle is a semi-float and none of the lockers and almost none of the limited slips on the market fit because it's a c-clip 10.25, not a full floater. I have one of the HD trucks and played hob finding any sort of traction aid. There is only three choices of traction aid, the factory TL (urrrp), the Auburn High Performance, which you can upgrade to the Pro by replacing the preload springs (goes from a 2.5 to a 3.5:1 bias ratio). I have the Auburn HP and am happy with it.

RVtec88: As said earlier, your truck has an 8.8 axle most likely (you better check before you buy something). Since you aren't going 'wheeling, I'd recommend a limited slip rather than a locker. More mannerly. IMO, the best would be the DetroitTruTrac... but it's at the higher end costwise. From there, I like the Auburn Gear High Performance, the Eaton Posi and the factory Traction-Lock gets last place in my book (very ineffective).

The "lunchbox" lockers are the cheapest option and the easiest to install, but they can ratchet and bark tires in turns. If you go the Powertrax route, their No-Slip is more mannerly than the Lock Right because it has a synchronizer. Likewise, the Aussie locker is also smoother

Quick Reply: Size of Locker