4x4Hi seems very stiff

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4Hi seems very stiff

I've had my truck in to Ford for some work, they've changed the front 4x4 solonoid and the vacuum line (I've been having grinding noises in the front end). Well, I think they've fixed the problem (after 2 trips to the dealer), at least I haven't heard that noise yet, but while trying my 4x4Hi out this morning (to make sure everything is working) it seems very stiff, when I turn at a slow speed it just about stops the truck and I can hear the rear tires spinning a bit on the loose gravel. I know that 4x4Hi is a bit stiff while turning sharp but this seems worse. Any thoughts? I may have to go back to the dealer yet again.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's what mine does. The other day, I guess I accidently bumped my switch when I took my windshield shade down and engaged the 4x4. As I tried to turn out of my parking spot, my truck felt like there was wheel chocks under every wheel.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:16 AM
I just re-read your post and I misunderstood your original question. I'm assuming when you tested it you were on dry pavement? From my understanding, our 4WD system is really designed to improve straight line traction. When we engage the 4WD, the front and rear are locked together allowing the wheels to rotate at the same speed. The problem is, there is no way for the front and rear to rotate at different speeds in a corner. That's why when driving one of these trucks on dry pavement with 4WD engaged it feels like it's binding as you turn a corner. It's possible to damage drive system components or cause premature tire wear if you travel in 4WD drive on dry pavement. It really shouldn't be engaged unless the truck is on slippery road conditions where wheels can slip as necessary for turning, or of course your thick mud.

My Jeep doesn't have this issue like my truck. It can turn in 4WD on dry pavement and only has issues when I have the wheel turn all the way in one direction. The Jeep does have a solid axle up front though.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:42 PM
Thanks rednoved. I spoke to the dealer and they basically said the same thing, its just the nature of the 4x4 system on the new models (I'm coming from an 01 F150 which didn't do this). I avoid using 4x4 on the roads unless necessary. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it! This site is awesome, some much knowledge!

Cheers,

Old 06-16-2010, 11:35 PM
No problem, glad I could help. It's kinda disappointing how the 4WD performs when there is traction.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:09 AM
There is no differential between the axles in a 4x4 system. When turning the front and rear axles are moving at difference speeds and if you have the same gear ratio in both axles something has to give. In high traction situations this usually means tires screeching on pavement, it's also not good for your truck to use 4x4 on try pavement. AWD is pretty much the same as 4x4 but with a differential between the axles making it better for normal road driving, but worse in low traction/tire lifting situations where if one wheel spins you aren't going anywhere.

Why don't they just make all vehicles AWD with selectable lockers in all three difs and a selectable transfer case lol. Then you can have the best of everything for every situation.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:52 AM
Sounds familiar. When I got my '05 4x4 scab w/34k miles on it, it seemed "stiff" in 4WD, moving and especially steering (particularly in reverse). So I found some wet turf where I could engage 4WD and play. Not real hard. Just slinging some muddy turf in short bursts and figure-8s at maybe 3/4 throttle in both 4-hi and 4-lo. After that, things were vastly improved and the truck feels right in any situation. If you try this, be careful not to aspply too much power too suddenly while the wheels are turned sharply as this is a good way to break things in the front (steeering) axle. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: 4x4Hi seems very stiff