2002 Super Crew 4x4 front wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Super Crew 4x4 front wheel bearing

FYI....2002 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4x4 17" factory wheels....now has 128k miles. Bought used from Ford dealer with 96k, 4 years ago, love the truck.
About 2 months ago wife noticed humming in front (like aggressive off road tires). Quieter when turning left and louder when straight and turning right.....We have michelin 265/70/17's. Rotated tires, same noise.
Took to local shop, the poor guy spent an hour and half, two road tests and inspection. He thought it might be front wheel bearing but said let's not throw parts at it. Finally two weeks ago as it was getting louder, I went to Ford bought one hub assembly $373 and front brake pads ($73) no clip kit.
Everything I found on the internet said that quiet side is usally the bad one but take your chances. So we took the left one off and it was not good and replaced the brake pads while there. Ford does not sell the clips and two rubbers, went to NAPA for $12, glad I did.
The noise was a little better but still not good. Got mad, went back to Ford bought another hub ($373) but when we pulled the right side off, it was even worse than the left, go figure...So now our Ford is happy...One last thing, I gave Ford dealer parts guy my vin# and they gave me a 5 lug hub assembly with the smaller (12mm) lugs, so I had to go back and reorder the assembly with 14mm lugs. The hub lugs do not interchange, we tried one out of the old one.
I gotten many tips off the forum, coil on plugs, etc. Thought I would share my experience...By the way I could have purchased hubs as low as $100 on eBay but I wanted genuine Ford for my wifes truck and just bit the bullet.
I only like doing things once....don't need the practice. Gotta go, think I hear a beer calling me.....

Old 04-26-2011, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds exactly like my problem. Wish I would have read this before pursuing the IWE selenoid. Would have saved me $30 .

Quick Reply: 2002 Super Crew 4x4 front wheel bearing