Old 04-13-2015, 06:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Possible Power Steering Issues
http://www.f150online.com/forums/oth...ng-issues.html

ISSUE
While turning, the steering gets hard about ½ to 1 turn of the wheel. Many other users are having similar issues and explain their vehicles and exact issues in search of an answer

Read below for the full discussion…
Print Wikipost

Possible Power Steering Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ianv, I found that my problem was exactly that. The mid shaft universal seizing. I've been soaking it with penetrating oil and it was like new. Now it's doing it again. I looked up the part and it's $218 form Ford. Never would have thought it was that. I had the same fears about that rack or pump. It doesn't look fun to replace. Thanks for the update.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:30 AM
Im having this exact same prob on my 04. Exactly as everyone described. Should I do this midshaft myself? How hard is it?

Old 09-22-2010, 11:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure how hard it is to replace.
I have the same problem on my 06 and the dealer told me the same thing, Steering Shaft.
Going to replace mine when I do the top end tear down.

$300 CAD new up here in the Great White North...

Old 09-23-2010, 12:39 AM
I found this thread after doing a search. I too am having the exact same problem on my 2004 LARIAT 4X4 64K MILES. It is exactly as described by others. Never would have guessed the steering shaft. I too was afraid to take it in because I was afraid they would start replacing expensive parts and not fix the problem.
Can this part be lubricated and loosened up or is person better of just replacing it?? How hard of a job is it?

Thanks

Old 09-23-2010, 07:14 AM
Originally Posted by figgy
I found this thread after doing a search. I too am having the exact same problem on my 2004 LARIAT 4X4 64K MILES. It is exactly as described by others. Never would have guessed the steering shaft. I too was afraid to take it in because I was afraid they would start replacing expensive parts and not fix the problem.
Can this part be lubricated and loosened up or is person better of just replacing it?? How hard of a job is it?

Thanks
From what I have read if you blast the U joints with WD 40 that should help clear it up at least for a while.
I am going to try that until I do my top end swap and then I will change out the lower steering shaft.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:43 PM
Sprayed it with WD40 today as best as I could. Bottom coupler is hard to get to. I think it helped but still not right. Going to try and drench it if I can. Worried about long term fix. Looks difficult to change out and worried about what it would cost to have it done. Anyone have any experience with cost on having it done?

Old 10-03-2010, 12:00 AM
I thought I would follow up. I DRENCHED the 2 universal joints with WD40 and the steering is as good as new (for now). I wonder how often I will have to do this. But at least I know what it was and won't be taking it to a garage and paying for a new STEERING PUMP when that's not the problem.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by figgy
I thought I would follow up. I DRENCHED the 2 universal joints with WD40 and the steering is as good as new (for now). I wonder how often I will have to do this. But at least I know what it was and won't be taking it to a garage and paying for a new STEERING PUMP when that's not the problem.
Good to here that it worked for you..

I did mind last week and it help some what.. It would still hook when the wheel was straight. so I blasted it again when I got back from test ride. Seems to work.. But like you... For now.. I will change the the shaft once I take the truck in to do the top end. No sence doing it right now as I am not using the truck.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:39 AM
figgy,

WD40 is decent but PB Blaster has better lubricating capabilities and will not dry out as fast. Just my two cents. Good luck...

James

Old 10-06-2010, 09:26 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue07STX
figgy,

WD40 is decent but PB Blaster has better lubricating capabilities and will not dry out as fast. Just my two cents. Good luck...

James
The penetrating oil will do a better job of freeing up the shaft/joint as it cuts through grime and rust. WD40 is a water dispersal product. I would spray that on after the penetrating oil did its work to keep water and crap out of the joint.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:06 PM
I just tried the PB blaster solution. It did great.. only time will tell if it can last. I'll keep u posted guys.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:12 PM
Are you guys spraying these U joints from the top of the engine or is it more accessible from the bottom spraying up? Looking down i think i see the U joints that you guys are talking about but not 100% certain. Trying to do some preventative maintenance.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:17 AM
Originally Posted by fatty4x4
Are you guys spraying these U joints from the top of the engine or is it more accessible from the bottom spraying up? Looking down i think i see the U joints that you guys are talking about but not 100% certain. Trying to do some preventative maintenance.
Hey Fatty4x4,

I spraied from the top down..

There are two U joints .

Here is a link to pic of the two you need to spray.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...-steering.html

Last edited by Woodiedl; 10-21-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the reply. I only see a red X

Old 10-20-2010, 10:38 AM
Just to let you know guys that after 5 days, the PB blaster soaked U-joints are still good as new. We will see if it holds up in the long term. Otherwise your best bet for a long term fix without having to change everything is to find a high temperature lubricant. (Pretty much any lubricant that isn't solvant or water based)

Quick Reply: Possible Power Steering Issues