Drivetrain vibration in 99 Ford 150

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2000, 09:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gwallace...I agree they are the "front line" so to speak, but if you're getting nowhere in 13 days, then you should go to a different dealer. No reason for ANY repair to take so long, heck, it takes only a few hours to build the dang thang! Regional mgr should be called in for input also. They're the ones who get the "big bucks" to deal with chronic problems. In rare cases, state atty gen office can help if there is lemon laws in your state. Get all TSB's you can get also because they WILL NOT volunteer them even if they know there is one on your problem seems like.
Mine goes back in next Monday for free (B-4 12,000) front align and check on poss over-rev on shift point 1st to 2d.
Main thing is no machine is worth a heart-attack.

Old 03-19-2000, 11:39 AM
Several people have had an idle vibration, including myself. This may or may not be relevent, but when I replaced the stock exhaust system with a flowmaster 40 catback system, my idle vibration greatly reduced. My thinking is that the exhaust system is cheap, not hung very well, and susceptible to binding expecially when it gets warm. That was when I would get my idle vibration the most when the truck was warm. Good luck.

------------------
2000 F-150, XLT SuperCab
4.6 V8, auto.
3.55 Limited Slip Diff.
Towing Package
Stainless ICI nerf bars
K&N Airfilter
Flowmaster 40 Catbck Sys.

Old 04-01-2000, 07:14 PM
FYI, disconnected the cruise control cable, vibration went away. hmmmm.

Old 04-02-2000, 10:27 AM
Question

gwallace.....I just remembered a prob w/torque converter with automatic O/D like F-150's have. Vibrated at cut-out speed around 45 mph due to "hunting" or in/out shifting @ that change point. I've also noticed vibe worse if in O/D. ????whaddya think?

o/

d

Old 04-03-2000, 07:30 PM
My 97 Lariet 4.6 acted like it was shaking itself apart at 35-45 mph & light throttle. After many visits to the dealer-still under warrenty- the techs at Ford had them flush the trans cooler-lines-trans & refill with dextron5 fluid. Turned out the factory put in the wrong stuff. It's been ok the last 20k. Just a thought.

Old 04-22-2000, 09:25 PM
Would like any updates on vibration. Got the same problem with 2000 F150 4.6 4x2 auto. Vibration in gas pedal at speeds over 40 and when pulling a hill. Dealer has rotated, balanced and indexed tires, aligned front end. No good. Shop foreman rode with me and wants to replace driveshaft. But from what I've read, this hasen't helped anyonelse. Had a '97 like the one I have now and never took it to the dealer for any problems. Any info would be appreiciated.

------------------
2000 Sport Red Flareside Reg. Cab 4.6 auto, 6 disc CD, bedliner, Mods; Roush front bumper cover, Lightning ground effects, LeBra Ultra-lift tonneau cover, tinted windows, Flowmaster 50 series, 2 inch rear drop, more later

Old 04-23-2000, 09:45 AM
I would be intrested to know if anyone with the vibe has an aluminum drive shaft. Mine is aluminum and is smooth as silk. I'm betting the steel driveshafts are causing it due to the additional mass. Check the last page of a post on he below site regarding 4R70W and critical speed.
http://www.tccoa.com/transmission

------------------
99, XL, SC, SB, auto, 4.6L, 255x70R16, 3.55LS, 2wd, Med Tor, Dk Grph, Raider LoRider Tonneau, Valley class III hitch, bed mat.
Computer Code YBQ3
More to come!

Old 04-23-2000, 11:53 AM
Talking

Actually, I am on my second aluminum one-piece drive shaft and still have the vibration issue, although a drivetrain clunk was solved with the new shaft. Vibration was minimized somewhat though, by freeing up the cables from the bracket attached to the power steering pump, as mentioned above..............next theory please.

Old 04-23-2000, 04:36 PM
Lightbulb

I think there are some different types of vibrations being discussed here. Vibrations that are low frequency shakes, that speed up and increase in severity directly with road speed, and do not have certain "zones" where they are stronger, are often wheel balance related, especially when accompanied by a left-right jiggle in the steering wheel. These remain constant at a constant speed even after an upshift or downshift and are unaffected by engine load. Vibrations caused by the driveshaft have a faster frequency because of the gearing in the rear diff. and are felt more in the seat of the pants and less in the wheel. These are also directly tied to road speed.
The "booming" vibrations at higher speed, I believe, are caused by the exhaust system. I am used to getting this from four cylinder cars and it sounds the same. I do not think they are caused by the transmission or driveshaft. It seems like it because it starts when the torque converter locks up, but that's because the engine speed decreases when the converter locks up and I think the engine and exhaust get into resonance. I have this booming in my F-150 and it happens right around 63 mph, and it happens around 40 also in 3rd gear when the engine is revving at the same speed. Also changes when you get on or off the gas, which is more evidence of exhaust. Mine is not bugging me too much yet, but I think the exhaust replacements or dampeners sound like the best solution.
Oh, and that 35 mph shudder/lurch from the converter hunting for lockup, that's a whole 'nother story...

------------------
Billy
2000 F-150 4x4 4.6 Auto 3.55LS TowPkg

Old 04-24-2000, 09:05 AM
I have that same BOOMING sound in my Expy. About 37MPH and louder at 70-72 MPH. It was lessened significantly by changing the drive shaft and adding a vibration damper to rear axle. The vibration caused the rear seal in transfer case to leak which was also changed. Now its getting louder again. Not sure what I'm going to do---Bob

------------------

The vehicle above is one of many. Try refreshing. It goes by random but the Expy is exactly like mine.
99 EB Expedition 5.4L, Dark Toreador Red with all the perks,3.73 LS,Heated Mirrors and Seats. Everything but sun-roof. Rhino Step Bar, Ford Bug Shield,Even the hitch propeller, More to come...

[This message has been edited by ExpyBob (edited 04-24-2000).]

Old 06-13-2000, 11:13 PM
Anybody got any further info on fixes for the gas pedal vibration problem? My pedal has been "tickling" my foot since day one... I saw where the cable is connected to the power steering pump thing... Mine has a piece of foam rubber insulation already on it... But that and the cruise control cable attached to the bracket seem to be under a bit of tension... Not exactly just resting there. Just touching the metal plate these cables are tied to transmits the exact same feeling of vibration to your hand as the pedal does to your foot... Interesting. Just curious if anyone had this fixed proper with no more vibration and if so what the applicable TSB's or SSM's might be... I couldn't find any for the 2000.

------------------
2000 F-150 Lariat S/C 4x4 ORP 5.4L Bright Red/gold

Old 07-11-2000, 07:47 AM
Question

asking for viration

Old 07-11-2000, 07:57 AM
I have f150 4.6 ext. cab. I have a same problem with the famous vibration from the rear end usually between 35 to 50 mph. I use reg gas but one time I used premium and the vib was reduced 50% but is still there. I'am scared because I think that this vib can be an advice from transmision problem. Any sugestion???? please help!!!!!!

Old 07-13-2000, 08:14 PM
Question

I've had my 2000 Lariat for 2 weeks now and am experiencing a vibration as well. Seems to come in around 55-60mph and 16-1800rpms (just for reference, what rpms are y'all turning at 65mph with 5.4 & 355ls?). Taking it to the dealer - again - Saturday. First time in was just a tire balance - no good. The vibration feels shakes - lightly - the steering wheel and the truck feels like its straining. Also for reference, I can't get the tires to break loos from s dead stop on dry pavement. I know power to the road is a good thing...but I thought I could smoke 'em if I wanted to...other comments?

Thanks for any input,
Matt

------------------
2000 F150 SC Lariat 4x2
Flareside, 5.4L, 3:55LS,
CIII Tow, yada yada...

Old 07-18-2000, 09:11 AM
Matt, do you have the 17" wheels? If so, you're ratio is too low on your rear differential to break loose.

------------------
Model: '99 F150 Lariat Supercab 4x4 SS Mechs: 5.4L, 3.73 Diff (9.75" LSD Rear, 8.8" Front)
ORP: Skid Plates, LT265/70R17 GY Wrang. AT/S
Group III towing: HD Electrical/Cooling, GVWR 6500# (Extra leaf spring).
Stuff: Step Bars, 4W Disc ABS, K&N filter, 0W-30 Series 2k Amsoil @ 8200 miles
Stock Items That Differ Across F150s: Steel Driveshaft, Oil filter bolted to engine w/ drip guard, 4R70W transmission.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain vibration in 99 Ford 150