Front Diff U Joints METALLIC SOUND

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Diff U Joints METALLIC SOUND

I have a 94 STX 4X4 with a wicked metallic noise coming from what sounds like the front drive shaft rubbing on the heat shield. It happens at different times 2wd and 4wd. When I come to a complete stop it makes a loud clunk and the noise stops. Are the u joints bad causing the shaft to wobble and hit the heat shield or cat? It does not make the sound in reverse. Any ideas would be GREAT!

Old 02-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Ok... I used the search!! I found this! I have this exact problem. Looked under my truck and my heat shield was touching my front drive shaft. Though I havent had my truck in 4wd for over a week, and the front ds doesnt turn unless 4wd is engaged right? And I have the EXACT symptoms he described... yes, Im bringing this thread back from the grave... its alive... Any ideas?

Old 02-27-2010, 02:05 PM
bump

Old 02-27-2010, 10:09 PM
bump

Old 02-28-2010, 06:01 PM
you should be able to grab that front drive shaft and shake it if it moves u joints are definitely a must check the angle of the drive line too yoke bearings go bad too with excessive off roading
Also does it have control arms or independent a-arm style check all the bushings sometimes they wear out i have a 94 that pulled to one side really hard when braking so i went down and got new control arm bushing partially fixed the problem the rest was in the wheel bearings

Old 03-01-2010, 08:02 AM
does the front drive shaft even move when in 2wd? I mean it sounds like it clunks and then the sound starts (the sound varies with speed), and then when coming close to stopping another clunk and it stops.... it sound like the front drive shaft is trying to engage or something. As far as I know the front drive shaft is free to rotate, but doesn't spin unless engaged in 4wd.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:35 AM
Hello. Could the sound come from the front axle? If so maybe the 4x4 shift fork is bent and the front axle is partially ingaged and what you hear is the IWE grinding. Just a thought.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:58 PM
ok, so it makes the noise like every three or four days... it only made it today when I was doin 50mph in a slight right curve going slightly uphill.... I had the cruise control on, and it went away within about 30 seconds.... This is really bothering me. Im going to get something setup at the dealership since its under warranty

Old 10-30-2010, 04:57 PM
Any fix for this.

Originally Posted by wingman4
ok, so it makes the noise like every three or four days... it only made it today when I was doin 50mph in a slight right curve going slightly uphill.... I had the cruise control on, and it went away within about 30 seconds.... This is really bothering me. Im going to get something setup at the dealership since its under warranty
Wingman4,

Did you ever find out what the Noise was. I have a 2003 Lariat that just made a loud metalic noise from under the truck when I doing about 45 mph. Just prior to that I had dropped into lower gear to pass another vehicle as soon as I slowed down I heard a metalic noise I could have sworn it was maybe a bad U joint or bad engine drive belt idler but so far all is good that I can see.

texbaz

Old 10-31-2010, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by wingman4
does the front drive shaft even move when in 2wd? I mean it sounds like it clunks and then the sound starts (the sound varies with speed), and then when coming close to stopping another clunk and it stops.... it sound like the front drive shaft is trying to engage or something. As far as I know the front drive shaft is free to rotate, but doesn't spin unless engaged in 4wd.
The front driveshaft will still turn somewhat when in 2wd. Even though it actually is disengaged, the friction of the shafts and gears will still cause it to spin some,not full speed, but it will still spin.
Check your front U-joints. I've learned the only way to really check them it to remove the driveshaft and rotate the yokes around by hand. They should be smooth with no binding or rubbing.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:05 AM
I never found out what the issue was man. I will probably take into Ford sometime in the next couple weeks. I still have a few miles left on my powertrain warranty, so I want them to fix it. Let me know if you guys find anything out. I will be sure to post as soon as I know.

Quick Reply: Front Diff U Joints METALLIC SOUND