98 Expedition problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 Expedition problems

So my old 98 Expedition has some issues... 1) The mechanic insists that the 4wd works. It doesn't. I turn the shift **** and it reads its in 4x4 but it wont turn the front tires... I tried driving up a mulch pile and the front tires don't do anything even in 4lo... and 2) in 4lo the rear end shudders really bad.

Everything is stock on this thing...

Any help would be really nice! Thanks in advance!

Old 08-11-2009, 12:53 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Find a different mechanic.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:46 PM
Well I was hoping this would be something I could do or at least check and see what's wrong

Old 10-08-2009, 11:24 PM
look at your previous post on this subject...I had the same problem in my 01 Screw....found the problems and it's fixed now, the solution is in your other post

Old 10-08-2009, 11:52 PM
Ehhh forget it...here ya go.

I had the exact same problem in my '01 Screw...4x4 read as on and working, but get on a grade and she'd spin the rears and the fronts would do nothing and had one hell of a grinding noise coming from the t-case. My brother-in-law and I determined that something was wrong inside the T-case and that my vacuum actuator on the front axle was not moving the shift rod far enough to engage properly.

T-case is repaired and back in, vacuum actuator (on the front axle) is replaced and she works like a dream now! Thank God (and my brother-in-law, the heavy equipment mechanic). The problems were specifically...the vacuum actuator was rusted inside and would only move the shift rod about half way. Inside the transfer case a part called the "lock-up hub assembly" was cracked and the teeth were ground off (thus the grinding metal noise inside the T-case) and the T-case pump was worn out (and replaced). Hope this helps others with the "4x4 system says it's working but there is a grinding noise in my transfer case and the rear wheels just spin when I'm on a grade" problem. I know it sounds very complicated but it truly wasn't....if you had a set of the Ford service manuals and a moderate mechanical ability you could do the repair yourself...my brother-in-law is a heavy equipment mechanic but he has never broke down a t-case before and he just used my ford service manual to go through the rebuild process. All together the cost was about $240 for the all of the parts involved in the repair because I did also replace the electric shift motor on the t-case because it was swollen and would have failed this winter anyhow.

Hope this helps Man!

Old 10-09-2009, 12:00 AM
Hey man, thanks a million! I will try to take it apart this weekend if I can find the time and try to fix it. I sure hope that's the problem.

Quick Reply: 98 Expedition problems