Why do I keep detroying idler arms?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 09:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by b2therad
See I did not know that about the alignment. At the time when my tie rod went out and I got it fixed, the guy at mission auto told me that my steering wheel was off due to the bad tie rod end and my alignment. I did not know any better so I fixed it and went from there. My steering wheel now is perfectly straight while I am going straight, so I was basically restating what I was told.
nah man, its not really wrong info.

your steering wheel was off do to the damaged part, which therefor your alignment was out of wack. Plus you were having to correct by steering to the left (or whichever way) just to go straight. This is a good way to tell something is incorrect even if its just a improperly centered steering wheel.

it gets you looking under the hood and through the steering (which is a good thing)

not saying you were wrong, just some times the steering wheel isnt centered.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:36 AM
Originally Posted by 4.2trimble

your steering wheel was off do to the damaged part, which therefor your alignment was out of wack. Plus you were having to correct by steering to the left (or whichever way) just to go straight. This is a good way to tell something is incorrect even if its just a improperly centered steering wheel.

it gets you looking under the hood and through the steering (which is a good thing)

Yea man its cool. No problems. You just know more about it than I do. Either way I think we got the guy the info he needed to fix his idler arm problem.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:12 AM

the tie rods have just about everything to do with the position of the steering wheel. you can have toe specs dead on and things still not being right. i your case you need to lengthen one tie rod and shorten the other. this should turn your steering wheel to straight.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by chiefFX4
the tie rods have just about everything to do with the position of the steering wheel. you can have toe specs dead on and things still not being right. i your case you need to lengthen one tie rod and shorten the other. this should turn your steering wheel to straight.
WRONG!!! my steering wheel is off because when it was taken off the shop didnt center it when they put it back in. I have a body lift, theres an extension in the center, that extension was removed while working on my truck, then instead of making sure the steering wheel was centered they pushed it back together and tightened the allen bolt.

Remeber my steering is TOTALLY different than yours, or anyone else's setup here. Only a few members that arent active have setups like mine.

Im running crossover steering, EVERYTHING is dead on, steering extension needs to be loosened the wheel needs to be centered then the extension needs to be tightened.

Im well capable of aligning my truck and diagnosing problems inside the steering. and i can tell you what the problem is.

geuss you never caught my build thread?

Old 07-30-2009, 09:36 PM

Old 07-31-2009, 03:25 PM
WRONG!!! my steering wheel is off because when it was taken off the shop didnt center it when they put it back in. I have a body lift, theres an extension in the center, that extension was removed while working on my truck, then instead of making sure the steering wheel was centered they pushed it back together and tightened the allen bolt.

Remeber my steering is TOTALLY different than yours, or anyone else's setup here. Only a few members that arent active have setups like mine.

Im running crossover steering, EVERYTHING is dead on, steering extension needs to be loosened the wheel needs to be centered then the extension needs to be tightened.

Im well capable of aligning my truck and diagnosing problems inside the steering. and i can tell you what the problem is.

geuss you never caught my build thread?
sorry it slipped my mind that you had a custom setup on steering. i actually did read your build thread and it pissed me off because now i want to do the same thing but there's no way in hell i will be able to.

when dealing with a stock setup where nothing in the steering system has been modified then the clocking of the wheel is determined by tie rods. of course that's also only true when sitting still. different things come into play when moving.

didn't mean to offend or rile anybody up.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:54 PM
sorry it slipped my mind that you had a custom setup on steering. i actually did read your build thread and it pissed me off because now i want to do the same thing but there's no way in hell i will be able to.

when dealing with a stock setup where nothing in the steering system has been modified then the clocking of the wheel is determined by tie rods. of course that's also only true when sitting still. different things come into play when moving.

didn't mean to offend or rile anybody up.
haha no one riled... lol

why cant you do a SAS setup. Fairly easy actually. Even a kit to get you started check my sig...

Old 08-02-2009, 05:32 PM
haha no one riled... lol

why cant you do a SAS setup. Fairly easy actually. Even a kit to get you started check my sig...
money is an issue these days. i've always wanted to do one. even had it planned out for the ranger i had until i totalled it. got the f-150 and i've probably put enough in it to have a straight axle underneath it. it'd be nice if foresight were 20/20

Quick Reply: Why do I keep detroying idler arms?