Custom axles?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 03:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Custom axles?

So.....
i think this brings the tally to Lightning 3, F150 lariat 0...
burned the trans first, popped a cv like a chew toy, now we made nasty with the rear axle. i havent inspected the damage yet but it let go and it did it noisy style.

What i want now, Full floater axle, something i can run a locker in and will handle my hp very comfortably, and be able to haul heavy loads without burning bearings.

what i think im lookin for is a custom built 9". i have a spare 3rd member, i would want tubes cut and shafts cut for the 97-03 track width with the 5x135mm pattern. im worried about the 9" because i know my father has overloaded his old pickup (64 sounds familiar) and burned the wheel bearing out once.
also another question will be brakes.

who do i have the best luck with?

Old 06-14-2009, 05:08 PM
lmao. looks like the front pinion bearing scattered allowing the pinion to just thump the hell out of everything. broke and ground off almost all the teeth on the pinion, almost all the ring teeth are broke, chipped or smashed. the drivers side carrier bearing spacer is no longer round shaped. i'll have to get pics tomorrow.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honestly. A GM 14 bolt with some custom axle shafts with the 5x135 bolt pattern would be a great swap.

You will have to find someone to make the axles for it but i bet its possible.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:53 PM
If you want a 9" and a full floater...you can build one. I have ends on my shelf for a conversion myself. I think they're from a d80? Don't remember haha

It looks like this conversion uses d44 parts.
http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2002/ff9/

To fit your wheels you could easily convert it to discs while you're at it and drill the rotors to fit your wheels.

I want to build a front 9" one of these days

Old 06-15-2009, 03:12 AM
i figure now its coming down to choosing an axle that can handle both loads, the 9" is basically bullet proof as far as throwing hp in front of it. then again i fear burning bearings if i haul, has anyone had a 9" built using better bearings?

i have no knowledge of the gm 14 bolt rear, is that the one under the later model 3/4ton + trucks?

the loads i handle arent astounding or anything, i just want to feel safe which is why im torn between the 3/4 ton ford axle (10.25 or whatever size it is) for hauling capacity and the 9" for their ability to take abuse and like it. i know some girls like that! LOL

i'll read that article you posted code, its looking like i could very well build it myself BUT i dont have the good housing on hand.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by Klitch
i figure now its coming down to choosing an axle that can handle both loads, the 9" is basically bullet proof as far as throwing hp in front of it. then again i fear burning bearings if i haul, has anyone had a 9" built using better bearings?

i have no knowledge of the gm 14 bolt rear, is that the one under the later model 3/4ton + trucks?

the loads i handle arent astounding or anything, i just want to feel safe which is why im torn between the 3/4 ton ford axle (10.25 or whatever size it is) for hauling capacity and the 9" for their ability to take abuse and like it. i know some girls like that! LOL

i'll read that article you posted code, its looking like i could very well build it myself BUT i dont have the good housing on hand.
9"s aren't expensive from the junk yard. I bought mine off a club member for 75 bucks. If you can take on a project like this you could also go to Jegs and buy the stamped center portion, then use DOM for your axles tubes for major beef. Use d80 or something outers and you'd probably never have to worry about bearings.

THere are many different 9" houseings as well. Some have bigger bearings than others. When I get home today i'll shoot you out some info

Old 06-15-2009, 12:16 PM
Considered a Dana 60 full floater? The D60 has the same 9.75" ring gear as the Ford/Sterling 9.75 that comes in these trucks, but has tons more aftermarket support! I don't see why you couldn't build one to be stout enough for your power goals... NASCAR runs them with 800hp for up to 600 miles at a time and rarely do they fail.

EDIT:
Dana 60 axles are rated to carry more weight than the Ford 9.75" axle as well, so that would be a step in the right direction as well.

Last edited by Tornadom; 06-15-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Spidertrax:

http://www.spidertrax.com/Front_12

http://www.spidertrax.com/products/spider-9

Then run either the 4340 or the 300m axles. 300m being slightly stonger.

Dynatrac:
http://www.dynatrac.com/aa.html

Junkyard:

I'd be looking for a Dana 70 or 80. Definitely want a full floater.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited by MercedesTech; 06-15-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
Spidertrax:

http://www.spidertrax.com/Front_12

http://www.spidertrax.com/products/spider-9

Then run either the 4340 or the 300m axles. 300m being slightly stonger.

Dynatrac:
http://www.dynatrac.com/aa.html

Junkyard:

I'd be looking for a Dana 70 or 80. Definitely want a full floater.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Dana 80

Why not the 14 bolt Merc?

Old 06-15-2009, 03:31 PM
1 ton bearings sound sweet on that 9" but the pocket book is laughing at me. however i do have 2 9" rears to choose from, one is under a 2wd truck frame and the other i dont know what it was from. i "could" take one of those and convert it to full float 1ton specs but the housing wont be as strong from the looks of it.

i need to look around and price the d60 and the heavier dana's vs conversion costs of the 9" i have. i gotta see if i have a high pinion to start with.

budgets gonna have to be considered in the end result though, bare minimum will be full float.

Last edited by Klitch; 06-15-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:06 PM
you can make your own 609 (dana 60/9" hybrid).

9 inch center section, 60 outters.

Worried about the housing ? Thats mostly for playing in rocks, and hard off roading, but if you are, you can build and weld a truss with extra bracing on it no problem. This would make the housing STOUT. You can run cross bracing, long truss on top, extra tube braces, you could go crazy with the thing ! Wouldn't be an issue. Just stay away from the aluminum (sp?) third members. They pop, break, crack, and explode ALL the damn time.

Dana 70/80 would save you time, since it wouldn't require the extra fabbing. Basically throw it in and go, only minor mods.

Nothing wrong with the 14bolt ! They make for GREAT trench diggers !
Just kiddin, 14bolt FF makes for a great rear end. Had one in my ole Chevy with 40" tires. No problems, and I beat on it and tested every weak point ! Just hard to find around here, plus he said custom, so I thought he was wanting to go with one of those crazy bling bling guys I posted !

Old 06-15-2009, 05:17 PM
LOL yes i said custom, it is in the air with a junkyard axle. im pondering a 9" center with whatever i can get my hands on. depending on price, i may back down to a large dana just to save money and time. i definitely have tons of options from the look of it, problem will be narrowing the budget down to something i can afford yet beat the hell out of it with my powerplant.

i think this 8.8 will be rebuilt in a week or two, then after that i'll be looking heavier so i can put this 8.8 under my b2 and look for a d44 front and run 4.88/4.89 ratios

Old 06-15-2009, 08:30 PM
This may sound a little too conservative for this thread lol, but why not just upgrade to the 9.75. Bolts right in and its pretty strong as well. U can upgrade with new axles better bearings etc.

Heres an article comparing the sterling 9.75 to the D60.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...ild/index.html

I know its not "Custom," but unless you are planning for an SAS down the road with 40s or bigger, its not really necessary IMHO.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:22 AM
the reason i have not eyeballed the 9.75 is because im leaning hard on the full float axle method. reason is, WHEN the axle shaft breaks (im not saying if, it will happen some day i know better) i can still get home with that broken shaft. i suppose i could pick up the 9.75 axle, cut the tubes and weld on flanges for a 1 ton bearing if possible...

i am leaning toward sas now that the rear has popped like a chew toy. i forgot to get the pics so you guys can understand it was a nasty bang.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:42 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Don't underestimate the 9.75. It is a very stout axle. I blew up 3 8.8s before I replaced mine. The 8.8 is a joke compared to it. I have yet to break my 9.75. Look at what the lightnings are putting to the wheels. They hook and go. Get one with disk brakes and the calliper will hold the axle in place if you break one.

Quick Reply: Custom axles?