sounds like a 12 inch linked chain getting dragged

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like a 12 inch linked chain getting dragged

I have had some ongoing noises for a while and I have ignored them. The rear end noise of grunting, groaning and vibration is mainly when I turn. I cannot decide whether the other sounds like a bag of chains or a few chain links being dragged at highway speed acceleration.

Now yesterday, the bouncing chain on pavement noise got a whole heck of a lot louder and would not go away until I pulled off of the highway. When I braked and stopped at the intersection, just before 0 mph the rear end went "insert big band noise" and the rear end almost hopped and locked up. I expected not to have any drive when I released the brake but to my suprise, it drove, it drove well and quiet. I did crawl under to find that I am leeking fluid inbetween the drivers side end of axel and brake rotor gaurd where it mounts to the axel.

Need a remedy and does anybody have a stock 2004 fx4 (3.73?) full and good rear end laying around? I will buy it to swap this one out instead of trouble shooting.

thanks
tommy

Old 06-10-2009, 11:02 AM
I just found this, and I am wondering if the two are related?

TSB 06-4-4 LIMITED SLIP AXLE CHATTER, SHUDDER, BINDING SENSATION, OR VIBRATION DURING LOW SPEED TURNING MANEUVERS

Publication Date: February 16, 2006

FORD: 2002-2004 Mustang, Explorer, Mountaineer
2003-2004 Expedition
2004 F-150
LINCOLN: 2003 Navigator

This article supersedes TSB 06-02-16 to update the Service Procedure.

ISSUE:
Some 2003-2004 Expedition, 2003 Navigator, 2004 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 9.75" or 8.8" limited slip rear axle, and 2002-2004 Explorer 4dr, Mountaineer, and Mustang vehicles equipped with 8.8" limited slip rear axle, may exhibit a chatter, shudder, a binding sensation, or a vibration during low speed turns. On 4X4 vehicles, the sensation may appear to be originating from the front axle or the steering gear.

ACTION:
First verify the condition. On 4X4 trucks ensure that the vehicle is in 2WD, to isolate the rear axle. On all vehicles, turn the wheel fully right (or fully left) and then accelerate the vehicle. If the condition is verified to be in the rear axle, replace the limited slip clutch pack.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

CAUTION: INSTRUCT THE CUSTOMER NOT TO TOW WITH THE VEHICLE FOR 500 MILES (805 KM) AFTER THIS REPAIR, TO ALLOW THE AXLE TO BREAK-IN PROPERLY.

Order and install the appropriate clutch pack, follow the instructions detailed in the Workshop Manual.

6L1Z-4947-A (9.75" limited slip)
F5AZ-4947-BA (8.8" limited slip)
NOTE: INSTALLING A CLUTCH PACK INTO AN INDEPENDENT REAR SUSPENSION (IRS) AXLE IS DIFFERENT FROM INSTALLING A CLUTCH PACK INTO A SOLID-BEAM AXLE. BE SURE TO FOLLOW THE APPROPRIATE WORKSHOP MANUAL PROCEDURE.

INSTALLATION TIPS

Be sure to install NEW circlips and halfshaft/wheel end nuts on IRS rear axle (not included in the service kit)
Soak the new clutch packs in Additive Friction Modifier (XL-3) for fifteen (15) minutes prior to installation
For IRS axles, the half shaft seals need to be replaced. Expedition and Explorer/Mountaineer applications should use seal kit part number 5L1Z-4A109-A. Removal of the half shaft excluder seal 1L2Z-1N013 may be required, if equipped, to facilitate re-assembly
Refill axles with 4 oz. Additive Friction Modifier (XL-3) and the necessary amount of Rear Axle Lubricant (XY-75W140-QL), regardless of the axle lubricant system originally used in the axle. Fill to capacity recommended in the Workshop Manual
NOTE: AXLE FLUID REQUIREMENTS HAVE BEEN CHANGED. ALL VEHICLES BEING REPAIRED BY THIS TSB MUST HAVE REAR AXLE LUBE XY-75W140-QL INSTALLED, IN PLACE OF XY- 75W90-QFEHP. AS PART OF THIS REPAIR, CHECK AND REPLACE IF NECESSARY THE CURRENT XY-75W90-Q"FEHP" METAL TAG, WITH A NEW 75W140 TAG (F3TZ-4121-AA). ADDITIONALLY, REMOVE THE MULTI-COLORED LABEL WHICH IS LOCATED ON THE RIGHT SIDE AXLE TUBE, OR BLOCK OUT ANY/ALL "FEHP" OR "75W90" REFERENCES ON THE LABEL.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
6L1Z-4947-A 9.75" Axle Clutch Kit
F5AZ-4947-BA 8.8" Axle Clutch Kit
5L1Z-4A109-A Axle Seal
XY-75W140-QL Rear Axle Lubricant
XL-3 Additive Friction Modifier
W710084-S439 Nut (Wheel End)
2L1Z-4B422-CA Circlips (for 9.75")
1L2Z-4B422-BA Circlips (for 8.8")
F3TZ-4121-AA Metal Tag - 75W140

Old 06-23-2009, 03:54 PM
Pull off your left rear wheel and make sure your e brake hasn't fallen apart between the rotor and the dust shield. I had the same noise. Pulled the rotor off and the e brake assembly fell on the ground. One of the two springs was gone and the other was broken. Hope that helps cause its easy to fix.

Quick Reply: sounds like a 12 inch linked chain getting dragged