97 v6 5sp 4x4 PROB

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 12:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 97 v6 5sp 4x4 PROB

Ok guys my brother just bought a 97 w. a 4.2 and a 5sp. Runs gerat but when you put her in $ wheel it feels like something is binding when you turn. I think its a bent front axel. but i was wondering if you guys had any othrt thought ? i will be looking into it next weekend . any thought helpful or otherwise will be appreciated thanks guy for being such a fun and helpful site ful of people.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
If you turn in 4wd on a hard surface (good traction) you will feel things bind due to the lack of a differential between the front and back wheels (4wd vs AWD)

Old 03-23-2009, 11:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that's why you're only supposed to use it in low-traction situations. however, i still prefer part time 4WD to an AWD setup.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:24 PM
i know that i have driven four wheel dives all my life . but this is a big time bind up.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:05 AM
JMC

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Are you driving it on a hard surface? It will bind when you turn. If a bent front axle was causing the bind it would also happen in 4x2.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:00 AM
jmc

I have read many of your posts and i truely respect your pinion ant do believe you know your stuff. But that said Im curious as to why you think it would also happen in twp wheel drive if it were indeed a bent front axel ? My reasoning, and please do correct me if I am wrong is. On a truck with auto hubs the front axles only turn when you are in 4x4 so if one is bent why would it cause a bind in 2wd when essentialy its just sitting idle ?
Again I am certainly not trying to undermine your knowledge I am only trying to better understand your reasoning.

Thank you

Don

Old 03-26-2009, 05:03 PM
JMC

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by wifordx4
jmc

I have read many of your posts and i truely respect your pinion ant do believe you know your stuff. But that said Im curious as to why you think it would also happen in twp wheel drive if it were indeed a bent front axel ? My reasoning, and please do correct me if I am wrong is. On a truck with auto hubs the front axles only turn when you are in 4x4 so if one is bent why would it cause a bind in 2wd when essentialy its just sitting idle ?
Again I am certainly not trying to undermine your knowledge I am only trying to better understand your reasoning.

Thank you

Don
Your brother has a 1997 with a 4.2. That uses an independent front suspension with an axle disconnect on the passenger side axle. The hubs ara constantly engages so the half shafts are always turning therefore if one of them were bent they would bind even in two wheel drive.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Quick Reply: 97 v6 5sp 4x4 PROB