9.75 locker question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 12:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
9.75 locker question

hey, im looking to upgrade to a locker. ive got a 2002 screw fx4. i already decided to go with an E-locker from eaton for the front 8.8 but cant seem to find the same for the rear 9.75. so i guess ill just go with a regular locker. my question is what is everyone using for aftermarket lockers? eaton? detroit? and what model lockers also. for instance, detroit has the true track, the no slip... and many others. i was thinkin of goin with the eaton's posi but i dont know if there is a better brand or model out there. let me know what you guys are using and what you think of them please. any info is much appriciated.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:50 PM
Why do you need a locker ??

True trak is a limited slip, not a locker. There are differences.

Assuming your going through some crazy stuff since you feel the need for front/rear lockers, I would suggest going with the detroit locker and being done with it.

And eaton is detroit.

Here is what they offer, and a little bit more about each one:
http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Produc...ials/index.htm

Old 02-24-2009, 12:42 PM
i know eaton bought out detroit a few years back, and now they are one, im just trying to find out what everyones using, cuz even though they are the same brand, they have different attributes to each. and i know what the difference is between a lsd and a locker, but in general, everyone knows them as lockers, so, agian, trying to see what everyone is using in general.

yeah, im not necessarily constantly going through nasty stuff, but when i do i dont like getting stuck. just a couple weeks ago i got stuck cuz my rear axle was high centered on snow. i woulda been fine if i had a front locker, or might have been fine with a rear. the front was needed then, and i like to be prepared for whatever is thrown at me. plus i got a decent tax return so, might as well. just getting tired of getting stuck cuz of one wheel wonder.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:45 PM
oh, and i just wish that they would hurry up and design a freakin elocker for the 9.75's. that would solve ALL of my woes. it would be very streetabe and VERY unstopable offroad. if eaton reads this (for some reason), PLEASE hurry with a 9.75 E

Old 02-24-2009, 01:00 PM
Alright, well in that case, I would suggest running the true trak out back. Seems like you want to remain streetable, and the true trak is just that. When off road, and extra traction is needed, it will act like a locker. They are getting pretty good reviews. ANother great thing is they are a long term solution over normal LS. No lcutch slippings. A beefy housing that comes with detroit. Sounds like it would be the best bet for ya.

Or wait until the raptor comes out for a longer period of time. Then steal one of there rear ends !! they have a rear slectable locker and thick axles housing !

Old 02-24-2009, 04:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dont the 09's have elockers in the rear??

I have an elocker in the front. I bought it for "insurance" not necessarily need.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by tnsilverfx4
dont the 09's have elockers in the rear??

I have an elocker in the front. I bought it for "insurance" not necessarily need.
there ya are !

Hadn't seen ya in awhile, wasn't sure if you were still posting. You run the auburn up front, right ??

And yes, the 09's have the selectable locker. The regular one only works in 4lo. The one in the raptor can be used whenever (2hi 4hi or lo). Thats what I was saying. Wait until they are on the market and the aftermarket has a second to catch up with them, I am sure a selectable locker for the 9.75 will pop up soon. They are great axles, very comparable to the good ole Dana 60.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:38 PM
I just put a TrueTrac in the rear a few months ago. I dont do a lot of off roading, but I do find myself in a lot of snow and mud when I hunt and fish. These are in some fairly remote locales, not good places to get stuck. I can tell you I am so pleased with the performance of the TrueTrac, I am considering installing one in the front too! The unit is silent, just like an open diff. The only way you know it is working is by the way the truck just digs in and goes. No clanks or ratcheting noises. There is no maintainance required, no clutches to rebuild. Can you tell I really like mine?

HYPO

Old 02-26-2009, 02:43 PM
yeah, sounds good. thank you everyone for your input. i agree with tnsilverfx4 on the insurance not necessity. thats why im looking at doing it. and thank you HYPO for putting in your 2 cents, i was thinking locker for the strength and reliabilty but i would kinda suck on the highway. dont get me wrong, i could live with it, but id rather have something smoother. so since you like the TrueTrac so much, i might consider that. and MercedesTech, good idea about the raptor, i forgot about those (i dont know how, lol). when are they supposed to debute? do you know? before i do any purchasing, im going to wait for an email back from eaton, if they read it or respond. i sent them an email asking if and when they would design an elocker, and why i think they should (popularity of F150's and the use of 9.75's since 97). and also, MercedesTech, rereading my last reply, i noticed i might have come off as a bit snippy, if thats the way you read it or took it, sorry, i didnt mean it that way. thanks again everyone for your info. very helpful

Old 02-26-2009, 05:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
there ya are !

Hadn't seen ya in awhile, wasn't sure if you were still posting. You run the auburn up front, right ??

And yes, the 09's have the selectable locker. The regular one only works in 4lo. The one in the raptor can be used whenever (2hi 4hi or lo). Thats what I was saying. Wait until they are on the market and the aftermarket has a second to catch up with them, I am sure a selectable locker for the 9.75 will pop up soon. They are great axles, very comparable to the good ole Dana 60.
Yep Auburn ECTED up front. Dont buy into that "you will tear up your cv's" stuff. If you know how to drive with a locker you will be fine. Dont expect to run 40's on an IFS, run hammer-down full speed into a pit, get stuck, crank your steering wheel to the side, lock it, and hammer-down again and expect not to break stuff. Everyone has this fear that if you put a locker in your truck you're done. Just drive smart. lockers in IFS require you to think a little bit more
Motorman- Good luck buddy. Let us know if you need any help

Mtech-I'm still here. Ive been lurking lately. Unfortunately, I think Im gonna have to sell my silver baby. after buying my stroke and realizing that i want to build a real mud truck (which i can now pull with the stroke) it dawned on me that now might be the time to buy a house so that I can have a place to keep them all/ rebuild them after I break things. i'll still be around here though. Too much fun to pass-up. Plus if I sell one, I can start building up the stroke and its 700lbs of tq and D60

Last edited by tnsilverfx4; 02-26-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:31 PM
i just thought of this. if i was to go with an elocker for the front and a true trac in the back, once i lock the front, is that going to cause any problems, since the front is solid locked and the rear is limited slip? like if the limited slip... slips?

Old 03-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by motor_man_383
i just thought of this. if i was to go with an elocker for the front and a true trac in the back, once i lock the front, is that going to cause any problems, since the front is solid locked and the rear is limited slip? like if the limited slip... slips?
You would be fine. That wouldn't cause an issue in any way.

The locker up front might put extra stress on steering components or the CV axles. Those things might "pop" but thats regardless of what you have in the rear. When you break something (not likely, but could) upgrade !

But no, you wont have any issues from your setup.

Like TNSilver said:

If you know how to drive with a locker you will be fine. Dont expect to run 40's on an IFS, run hammer-down full speed into a pit, get stuck, crank your steering wheel to the side, lock it, and hammer-down again and expect not to break stuff. Everyone has this fear that if you put a locker in your truck you're done. Just drive smart. lockers in IFS require you to think a little bit more

Quick Reply: 9.75 locker question