Rear End Gasket.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently discovered, via thousands of phone calls to local, small businesses that Fel-Pro gasket #RDS-55476 would fit this differential..

However, every attempt to obtain this gasket I have made has failed. I have called around...

(The Trans-Dapt gasket is on back order until like March 3rd or something..)

Anyone have any luck getting it? From where?

Old 02-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can find the right gasket at many places you just have to look . Purple Cranium has them for $5.00 .

https://purplecranium.com/c-53705-ch...al-covers.html

Old 02-17-2009, 03:27 PM
I inquired about that gasket.. i want to know what it's made out of, or if it is another companies product.. the TransDapt one I want is on backorder until the end of this month.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:16 PM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A- Gasket with AVATION seal on both sides

B- Pure RTV, 1/4 inch bead. pull cover with bolts til RTV just STARTS to squeeze out. wait 10-15, than torque cover down....

FLAWLESS

Old 02-17-2009, 05:19 PM
i just got changing my fluid (8.8). I spent a long time on it because i worry a lot. I did this:

-took the cover off, covered the gears up with a plastic bag
-scraped all the sealent off the cover and the rear end, i even used a wire brush and got every little bit of sealent off
-made sure there was no oil anywhere on the mating services
-put a small bead of permatex gasket maker on both sides of the gasket, i circled the bolt holes
-put the cover on and snugged the bolts just so a tad bit of sealent popped out
-i waited 1.5 hours and then snugged the bolts a little more and filled her up
-waited a little longer and torqued the bolts to 33 ft pounds.
-cut the excess sealent that oozed out
-cleaned the back of the lid and surrounding areas with degreaser (to make it real easy to tell if i had a leak)
-NO LEAKS SO FAR

I think the trick is to put the sealent on, snug it down and leave the truck alone for a while to let the permatex seal.

EDIT: I used the red permatex, so different then the black except 150 degrees toleration.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:00 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
TA Performance makes a gasket for the 9.75. http://www.taperformance.com/products.asp?cat=374

Product ID: TA_1804-G Ford 9.75, 12 Bolt Rear End Cover Gasket They want $6.50 for it + S&H.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:15 AM
I think the trick is to put the sealent on, snug it down and leave the truck alone for a while to let the permatex seal.
Still holding?

I did the same many miles ago with good results.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by DaMoose81
i just got changing my fluid (8.8). I spent a long time on it because i worry a lot. I did this:

-took the cover off, covered the gears up with a plastic bag
-scraped all the sealent off the cover and the rear end, i even used a wire brush and got every little bit of sealent off
-made sure there was no oil anywhere on the mating services
-put a small bead of permatex gasket maker on both sides of the gasket, i circled the bolt holes
-put the cover on and snugged the bolts just so a tad bit of sealent popped out
-i waited 1.5 hours and then snugged the bolts a little more and filled her up
-waited a little longer and torqued the bolts to 33 ft pounds.
-cut the excess sealent that oozed out
-cleaned the back of the lid and surrounding areas with degreaser (to make it real easy to tell if i had a leak)
-NO LEAKS SO FAR

EDIT: I used the red permatex, so different then the black except 150 degrees toleration.

Thats textbook right there. Good job !

Old 02-18-2009, 04:26 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I used a gasket on the 8.8 in the front. No sealant. Why use a sealant with a gasket?. Is not the idea behind the gasket is to eliminate the use of a sealant?

Old 02-19-2009, 03:41 PM
OP, Are you still waiting on your gasket? If you haven't resealed the diff yet, make sure the flange on your diff cover is flat when you have it off. It's pretty easy to bend the flange prying the cover off and if it isn't flat it may continue to leak, gasket or no gasket. FYI, At my last job I sealed dozens if not hundreds of diff covers with The Right Stuff and no gasket. No waiting to fill them either, the boss didn't like waiting for anything.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
tellin ya man, if you dont ever plan on going into something use "The Right Stuff" sometimes it seems almost impossible to remove the pan/cover you sealed with it but it never leaks!

Old 02-19-2009, 05:05 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

Use a gasket!You don't have to wait......just fill it up and go!

Old 02-22-2009, 07:11 PM
I believe that SummitRacing has at least processed the order.. as they have charged my credit card. Im hoping its here this week.. its the Transdapt 9049 gasket.. going to be using a brand new cover from the Ford dealer, so no worrying about the flatness of the cover (though I did check it.. its fine.) and im wire brushing both of the mating surfaces with a wirebrush bit for a dremel.. 33ft/lbs.. ta da!

Old 02-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
better yet, get a mag hytech dif cover ! Added cooling, more fluid, drain hole, even a dang dipstick for your diff ! Plus, they have built in O-ring seals, works great everytime. Just another option.
I love my Mag Hytec covers. They're great. I've got both the differential & the transmission pan. These covers pay for themselves. This is one mod that you will get your money's worth from.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by Fifty150
I love my Mag Hytec covers. They're great. I've got both the differential & the transmission pan. These covers pay for themselves. This is one mod that you will get your money's worth from.
YUP! Best thing since PB&J samiches!

I have both tranny and diff cover myself. 5 year warranty on their o-rings as well...

Quick Reply: Rear End Gasket.