Everything broke pls help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 03:16 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everything broke pls help!

i really need your help on this one guys (and gals) ...please, i beg you, save the negative comments for later... ok, so i recently had my front gears changed about a month ago, so tonight i went to test them out....well i'll just get down to it and list the problems

1) i can only steer the truck if i'm going over 5 mph, and my power steering makes that staining noise when i do steer. When i'm at a dead stop it's almost as if when you have your 4wd engaged and you can't turn your wheel until you start going...i thought maybe my truck won't come out of 4wd...but the 4wd light is off, sometimes it will steer one way but not the other...

2) i got a popping noise from my left cv shaft i thought it was a bad U-joint (this is the whole reason why i went to test the 4wd out)

3) when i'm in 4wd all my tires spin when i go forward, when i go in reverse my front tires do not spin and i get a whining noise as if i had a SC charger under my hood???

I would deeply appreciate the positive help. And maybe an estimation about how much this is going to cost to fix.

all i did was drive into a spot of soft grass that was flooded with about 1foot of water, lost traction rocked forward and back... heard the whining noise in reverse then gave up...then had my buddy pull me to hard ground and everything seemed okay until i drove 1 mile...

again thanks for the help, i appreciate it so much...i need my truck to get to school...and being a college student it's going to take me for ever to save enough to get all this fixed

Old 01-24-2009, 03:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i would guess if the'res noise only in reverse, that perhaps something to the effect of the shift linkage is not fully engaging? im not familiar with the 04+ but, that would be the IWE solenoid?

typically if the steering is labored, there is a major bind in the system, like a locked front diff.

who did the labor?

Old 01-24-2009, 03:48 AM

a buddy of my did the gears for me, he's pretty much a gear pro, hes done at least 200+ gear swaps.... so do you think the steering is due to the front drive locked up, this is a possibility b/c i think the transfer case is uckedf...

Old 01-24-2009, 05:03 AM
my experience with the lockup and labor of steering is the front diff is not open anymore. i have a "lunchbox locker" in the front of my truck. steering is severly hampered in 4x4 because the tires are unable to differentiate correctly.

i'd be asking your buddy to open up the front pig to make sure everything is good there since that was the last thing you did i assume?

Old 01-24-2009, 10:46 AM
Sounds like you MIGHT have a problem inside the transfer case. Did you ever get the other problem fixed? Im not gonna mention which one to avoid you getting bashed again. But i think you know what im talking about.

Or was this the first time you have used 4x4 since that inccident?

Like klitch said, have your buddy check the front diff, make sure everything is in order.

Also id check the powersteering box/ fluid i know mine when out.

I still think the major problem is in the drivetrain... t-case, front diff or a combination of both.

Theres no way of giving you an estimate, untill you know whats actually broke.

Good luck man.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by 4.2trimble
Sounds like you MIGHT have a problem inside the transfer case. Did you ever get the other problem fixed? Im not gonna mention which one to avoid you getting bashed again. But i think you know what im talking about.

Or was this the first time you have used 4x4 since that inccident?

Like klitch said, have your buddy check the front diff, make sure everything is in order.

Also id check the powersteering box/ fluid i know mine when out.

I still think the major problem is in the drivetrain... t-case, front diff or a combination of both.

Theres no way of giving you an estimate, untill you know whats actually broke.

Good luck man.
no i didn't get it fixed...that's why i was going out to test it and to see if i just had a bad u joint, or to see if the transfer case was messed up. thanks again for the input

Old 01-24-2009, 12:38 PM
sorry to hear ya truck broke.. You could always consider taking out some student loans if ya really need some cash..

Old 01-24-2009, 01:09 PM
oh your that guy who used 4x with different ratios. uhm, yeah your gonna want to drop the t-case too since that might explain the no go in reverse.

i still insist the labored steering is something up front. perhaps a spider gear split?

Old 01-24-2009, 01:30 PM

looks like i'll be trailering my truck back home... I was thinking about dropping the front diff and removing the front drive shaft and driving it back home..but i cant do that b/c of the uckingf cv shafts

Quick Reply: Everything broke pls help!