Question on slip yoke

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 07:20 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question on slip yoke

Hey everyone i have a 03 f150 with the 5.4. Took the truck in to the ford house today and had warranty work done on it. The problem is that when it is down shifting or sometimes up shifting you can hear a clunk sound which i thought was the U Joints well it turns out the say it is a dried out slip yoke. Looking at my warranty http://www.fordwarrantys.com/extraCare.cfm it looks to me like this would be covered. Do yall think it would be covered under any of these

Axle shafts
Bearings, front-wheel
Bearings, rear-wheel
Drive-axle housing and all internal parts
Drive shaft
Retainers
Seals and gaskets
Universal and constant velocity joints

My main problem is that they are trying to charge me a diagnostics fee of 80.00 cause its not under warranty and it seems to me it would be. Any feed back would be appreciated

Thanks

Old 01-21-2009, 10:26 PM
anybody at all i need opinions before tomorrow morning!!!!

Old 01-21-2009, 10:38 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
I think it would fall under driveshaft, but its a loose interpretation

ask to speak with the service manager.

technically they should have notified you of the potential charges before they started looking at the truck.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Extracare covers drivetrain. Last time I checked, the driveshaft is part of the drivetrain. There is a TSB for this concern. If they run the base part number for a driveshaft (4602 I think) on OASIS against your VIN, that will tell exactly if the part is a covered component. Oh yeah, it can be printed out, too. If they deny it, demand to see the print out with your VIN and the part that says it is "not covered under contract". Hope this helps. Your contract also has a date and mileage that will terminate coverage.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by bigbronc
Ford Extracare covers drivetrain. Last time I checked, the driveshaft is part of the drivetrain. There is a TSB for this concern. If they run the base part number for a driveshaft (4602 I think) on OASIS against your VIN, that will tell exactly if the part is a covered component. Oh yeah, it can be printed out, too. If they deny it, demand to see the print out with your VIN and the part that says it is "not covered under contract". Hope this helps. Your contract also has a date and mileage that will terminate coverage.
They told me that they couldnt just replace the yoke so they charged me 80 dollars to grease it but it is still doing the same thing so they dont know what it is. truck is there overnite tonite and they said they would look at it again

Quick Reply: Question on slip yoke