Noise from right front?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2000, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Noise from right front?

Every once and a while when I turn a corner I get a noise from the right front that sounds like a tire rubbing the wheel well. I know that isn’t happening since the truck is stock. Could it be a hub going bad? It’s only done it 4 to 5 times in 22,000 miles. I know if I take it in the dealer will tell me that they can’t get it to repeat so there is nothing wrong. Has anyone else had this same problem or could give me some insight. Thanks.

------------------
1999 F150 S.Cab 4x4
Northland Edition,5.4
Off road pkg. Fleetside
Black w/grey int.

Old 07-26-2000, 01:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a thought, might want to check the boot on the outer CV joint on the right axle shaft. Move it around, to be sure its not ripped anywhere. The ***** in the outer CV joints run back and forth in their grooves when the joint is at an angle. If grease got out, or grit got in, they can seize momentarily in the angle position. In severe cases, this can be felt as a rocking motion in the steering wheel while in a corner, and will disappear when going straight. But power steering probably overrides most of this feel. Usually, when they start to go bad, it gets worse and worse. May have nothing to do with your sound, but its an easy check.
As to the hub, there is just a permanently lubricated hub bearing like FWD cars have. When they go bad, its usually noticed at higher speed as a growling or humming sound, that tends to keep going.
Also, have heard spring noises that sound more like a grunt-grunt sometimes in a turn. Heard those in many cars and trucks occasionally, never sure why, though.

Quick Reply: Noise from right front?