Another 4x4 issue, but not like others

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 12:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blueovelboy
so it all started when you replaced the battery? sounds like you need to reset the computer put the key in and turn to the on pission but don't start it then remove the positive lead of the battery for 30 seconds then touch it to the terminal and pull it off and then put it all back together and turn key off then try starting it see if this fixes your problem
This reset doesnt do anything, just tried it, no luck.

Anyone else?

Old 12-29-2008, 07:53 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnVH
This reset doesnt do anything, just tried it, no luck.

Anyone else?
I was curious if you got that figured out yet..? Heres some info I came across this morning - Might help - ?

Ford Service -

Transfer Case —Electronic Shift on the Fly (ESOF) Features
A rotary switch allows the vehicle operator to choose between 2WD, 4WD HIGH, and 4WD LOW modes of 4x4 operation.

The generic electronic module (GEM) controls the operation of the 4x4 system.

The vehicle speed sensor (VSS), mounted in the rear of the transfer case, informs the GEM of the vehicle speed.

The shift motor sense plate, an integral part of the electronic shift motor, informs the GEM to the positions of the transfer case (go to Table 4).

The transmission range sensor is located on the LH side of the transmission; this sensor informs the GEM when the transmission is in the NEUTRAL position.

The electronic shift motor, mounted externally at the rear of the transfer case, drives a rotary cam which moves the mode fork and range fork within the transfer case to select between the 2WD, 4WD HIGH, and 4WD LOW positions.

The 4x4/4x2 vacuum solenoids are attached to the upper RH side of the engine compartment, and alternately route vacuum to the vacuum motor which engages/disengages the center axle disconnect collar in the front axle assembly.

The 4x4 shift motor relay is a module containing two relays. Under the control of the GEM, the 4x4 shift motor relay shifts the transfer case shift motor between the 2WD, 4WD HIGH, and 4WD LOW modes.

The transfer case clutch relay is an electromechanical relay used to activate the transfer case clutch within the transfer case.

Good Luck.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:09 AM
No luck, Ive checked a bunch of that stuff as I am able. I guess if there isnt anymore ideas Ill have to pay the stealership to figure it out.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:02 AM
Hey bro I have a 06 screw Fx4 and yesterday I went to the sounds to go fishing when I got to the entrance I tried to lock it in 4 HI nothing I have electronic shft . It would not move from 2 HI . This morning at 8:00 am I took it to ford here in jacksonville . I just got it at 10:00 am put it in 4 low and it works great . he said it was the shift motor . maybe it could help you out . if not i dont know .

Old 12-29-2008, 03:51 PM
Thanks Nate, I actually put a new shift motor on it to try, it didnt work either, so its not the motor, its not the front end vacuum stuff, solenoids look good, Im kinda stumped..

Old 12-29-2008, 06:40 PM
oh my bad though you had just changed battery wow wish it would have helped and good luck

Old 12-29-2008, 08:09 PM
no worries, I guess nobody has had this problem before, was just hoping to save some money by not having to pay the outrageous shops..

Old 12-30-2008, 09:29 PM
ok, had a little break though, was doing a search on these problems, someone mentioned taking the selector switch in the dash and cleaning it, so, I removed the switch, cleaned it out, scraped out the connections inside of it, put it back together and whala, everything works now, 2wd, 4hi, 4lo, the lights on the dash, all of it, yay!!

I hope this is the fix, Ill try putting the stock transfer case motor back on also, see if I can sell that to recoop some of my money..

Old 10-26-2009, 01:00 PM
Ok, problem came back! Ofcourse hunting on top of a hill got stuck in 4lo, took the switch apart and cleaned it up, no good. took the motor off and put it into 2hi manually to get home.

Is there a manual conversion for these to do away with this electronic garbage? I priced that little tiny switch at the dealer and it was $75! Any other idea's?

Old 10-29-2009, 09:16 PM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
installing a new motor in mine this weekend hopefully... its sitting in my box at work..

Old 10-29-2009, 09:43 PM
Good luck, I put a new one on mine last year, then found out I didnt need it.. sigh..

Old 10-29-2009, 10:21 PM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well I plugged in my new one and turned my selector switch and the A4WD lite up, so I know thats the problem, a dead motor.... I just need to install it

Old 10-29-2009, 10:31 PM
Ahh ok, wish mine was that simple!

Old 11-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Anyone have a wiring diagram for the 4x4 circuitry on these things?

Quick Reply: Another 4x4 issue, but not like others