4x4 binding and popping

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 binding and popping

sometimes when i turn, and it seems to always be when i am turning right, and i am in 4hi, my left front side will pop. for a lack of better terms, that is the best i can describe it. is this normal? i have had the hubs torn apart and couldn't find anything wrong with them. there was plenty of wheel slippage, so i know that shouldn't have been a problem.

also, how sharp can you guys turn in 4hi when there is no wheel slippage? i can only make about half a turn on the steering wheel and thats it. any help is appreciated

Old 12-30-2008, 09:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is called front axle wrap up. You can't run 4x4 on dry ground. BTW, it is normal. The u-joint in the axle can only turn smoothly on a limited turning radius. On tight turns, the axle will bind and then "jump" when it unloads. Hope this helps. Seems your 4x4 is just fine. The reason it seems like it is only on the right turns, the left axle is considerably shorter than the right side. This allows the right axle to twist more than the left due to its length, and not bind quite as much.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Even when you are in 'slip' situations, and you turn full lock, you will 'pop' in 4x4... It's just the nature of the beast... The front CV joints in combo with the turning of the axle shafts will cause that even with a totally OPEN front end..

Solid axle fronts are probably less prone to this, but even they will bind when conditions are right...

Turning while in 4x4 mode has always been the achilles heel of 4x4... Best advice is to avoid it as much as possible, and when you can't, keep it at a slow speed!

Mitch

Quick Reply: 4x4 binding and popping