Rear end noise, changed oil but still noise?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear end noise, changed oil but still noise?

Sorry for the weird title, im not sure i had enough room to type everything out. Ok i was having some rear end noise when i was only turning after i got the diff oil changed at a shop. The noise didnt come along til about a month or so as my truck is not a daily driver. I took it to another shop to have it diagnosed and they said it needed some frition modifier because the shop that did it before didnt put any in. I noticed after the diff oil change that the noise isnt as loud as before but its still there. Is the noise supposed to go away immediately or should i give it a few more miles? Also when they had the diff case opened they noticed their was a little play in the spider gears, how long do I have til it goes out?

Oh ya specs on my truck
4.6 8.8 LS rear end
35k miles
37s with 4.56 gears

Last edited by 1 high bald guy; 11-13-2008 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:06 AM
edit - drove the truck after and it seems to have gone away. i will update tomorrow when i drive around some more.

is their supposed to be any play with the spider gears? their was a little play with one gear where the pin goes through i believe...

Old 11-14-2008, 12:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
give it some time to work into the gears, and you should be ok (250 miles)

Old 11-14-2008, 01:31 AM
ya thats what i was thinking, i took it for another spin after i posted cause im impatient. LOL sounds like the noise went away, my only problem now is how much play should i have in the spider gears? or should i not have any at all?

Last edited by 1 high bald guy; 11-14-2008 at 01:38 AM.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:56 AM
Originally Posted by 1 high bald guy
ya thats what i was thinking, i took it for another spin after i posted cause im impatient. LOL sounds like the noise went away, my only problem now is how much play should i have in the spider gears? or should i not have any at all?
there should be play in the spider gears, unless your getting a clunk when engaging into drive then its probably within spec.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:12 PM
no their is no noise when i go into rever or drive. im not sure if the shop was trying to sell me on a new set of oem posi trac and spider gears. when the shop had the diff opened they moved the tire forward and back and showed me their was play in the spider gear where the cross pin goes through. is this normal?

Quick Reply: Rear end noise, changed oil but still noise?