Rear axle bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear axle bearing?

I checked my rear brakes yesterday and saw grease inside the right one and on the backing plate. I figured a seal is bad. Going to replace the bearing and seal while I have the axle out. Checked on Autozone repair info and they said that there are two kinds of bearings those pressed and those that are not. My question is if I get that axle shaft out and they are pressed on how do I do that? And, how do I install the bearing if they are not pressed? Just tap them in until seated? I also heard that Ford recommends that you put a conditioner in the gear box for limited slip rear ends. 1997 F150 XL Stepside 2WD 4.2 V6

Last edited by klhudson; 11-01-2008 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:16 AM
If you have the 8.8 rear like me, once you get the axle out, you are gonna need a slide hammer to pull the bearings out of the axle housing. Be carefull when prying the old seal out, and when pulling the bearing out. the new bearing will be tapped in the axle housing. find a socket, or something of the same diameter that you can use to tap the bearing in.
Another thing to check, the axle shaft. Check the minimum diameter, i belive is 1.29 inches for the 31 spline axle. also, check where the axle seal rode on the axle, it may have formed a small lip on the axle. that can be removed with sandpaper if not too deep.
Hope this helps out some

Old 11-02-2008, 02:52 PM
yes, there is a conditioner additive needed to the pumpkin case oil if u have LS, unless the oil u buy already has it in there.
If a seal is shot, there will be oil weeping down the backing plate, you'll see it from under the vehicle. My left side went out at 15k miles on a 05. I just happened to notice it one day while checking air in the spare. It was half way down to the bottom of the plate. By the way, remember there is 2 axles on these fords, a 8.8 and a 975. This maybe why they showed 2 brgs? But you wont see a 975 behind the v6, unless someone may have special ordered it that way.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Thanks guys. First time I have ever tackled a project of this size, been reading up on my manual.

Quick Reply: Rear axle bearing?