Differential Bearing Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Differential Bearing Replacement

Alright, where to start..

For the last month or so, there has been a ridiculously loud, obnoxious squeak coming from the rear end of my 99 f-150. It got so bad that I brought it into a local garage about 3 days ago. They called me to let me know that it was definitely the e-brake making the noise and that it would cost around $550 to fix it. I said great, thank you very much go ahead and fix it I just want the noise gone.

I picked up the truck this afternoon and lo and behold the noise is still there and just as loud as before. They mentioned that there could be a bearing going in the differential and it would be about $1500 to fix. At this point, I'm fed up with the garage and I'm wondering how much it would cost and how difficult it might be to replace them on my own as I have to replace the plate on the transfer case in the coming weeks.

Does anyone have any advice or insight into this matter? For reference its a 1999 XLT 5.4L with 4wd. Thanks in advance..

Old 07-18-2008, 12:36 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
see this link

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=339536

but I wouldn't trust anything that garage says. The first thing i would do it pull of a wheel and look at the brakes myself. Did this come on slow or all at once? I don't know what your experience level is so I'll just tell ya.

Brakes will squeak even if they are new sometimes if they don't have some Brake-stop on them.. Basically its some sound deadening past that hardens up like soft rubber and keeps the shims on the back of the pads from vibrating and squeaking.

Or if the pads are worn there is a little metal clip that is supposed to rub on the disk and squeak so you know they are going bad.

If it's none of that stuff then I supposed it could be in the differential.

Quick Reply: Differential Bearing Replacement