Rearend Shutter while turning

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rearend Shutter while turning

I have this problem in the rear end of my Truck..When i turn you can feel the rear end Shuttering...but mostly when going from stop...can someone let me know what is going on with my 04 Ford F150 4x4

Old 07-03-2008, 09:20 PM
clutch paks

Old 07-04-2008, 05:50 PM
From what you're describing, it sounds like you're having issues with your clutch packs in the rear differential. My guess is that you have a limited slip differential, either code H9 or B6 (if I remember correctly). You can find this info inside your driver's side door. Over time the clutch packs begin to wear out due to slipping from one rear wheel turning faster than the other one while turning. How many km's on the truck? I recommend getting your rear differential oil changed before you go looking into getting new clutch packs. Make sure if you do have a limited slip with the clutch packs that you get a friction modifier added to the rear oil, or, buy a high quality synthetic oil such as Mobil 1 or Royal Purple which already contains it. Try this first before replacing parts. I had the same thing with my truck and changing the diff oil was the answer. Good luck bud.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:12 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
It could also be worn U-joints.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:39 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I know what your talking about. I had the exact same problem. It got real bad at one time. I didn't reply earlier because I don't exactly know what I did to fix it, but it doesn't do it anymore.

Usually what starts this is a tire change on the rear axle - It's happened to me and I've heard of others having the same problem in the past.

How I got mine to quit -

(BTW -I had just put new rubber on when it started slipping while turning.)

I changed the Transmission Mount, it was bad.

Re-Aligned the trans - Supported the trans behind the crossmember and believe it or not you need to support directly under the oil pan as well (that's going by the service manual) So two support locations - Take the trans cross member/support loose. 3 18mm nuts and bolts @ the frame rail. Also 2 18 mm nuts bottom of the trans that go thru the bushing. If you notice, the bottom of the trans on the cross member there's adjustment slots. The trans/motor/shaft to 3rd member self aligns/adjusts when after loosening the 6 bolts on the frame rail, but you must have it supported properly and the trans mount nuts loose.

With it supported properly and everything is loose, tighten the 6 frame rail bolts.

Remove supports.

Tighten the two 18 mm trans mount nuts. It's re-aligned.

Between the new trans-mount and re-aligning. One of those two fixed my slipping while turning problem.

Keep in mind, that was on a 98 4x4 . I'm not saying this will fix yours, it is the clutch pack as stated by another memeber above - I went thru this explanation because it did fix mine - Re-aligning took stress off the pack (best I can figure).

Last edited by jbrew; 07-05-2008 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:26 AM
welll i took my truck to the transmission and Rear End shop and they couldnt find the problem..They opened the diff and seen that my truck dont have the clutch Packs..They said it wants to act like a Posi Track but it aint a Posi Track..They changed the fluid in the rear Diff,,,Greased the U-joints,,checked the transfer case and Transmission...the problem has subsided a little and they told me to wait a week to get the friction lube to work..its still shuttering but not as much as before...

Old 07-17-2008, 11:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the exact same problem and suspected clutch packs. I changed my rear-end fluid and it made a world of difference. I'm surprised to hear that you still have the problem.

Quick Reply: Rearend Shutter while turning