Front end problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front end problems

I've been having problems with a grinding/popping noise coming from the front end during the last couple of months. I replaced both CV shafts and that seemed to keep the noise down for a bit but the noise is back stronger than ever. The noise is most noticable whem I'm accelerating but I can here it whem I'm driving and braking also. I finally had a chance to jump under the truck this morning and I may have found the problem.

The flanges that the CV shafts connect to have quite a bit of movement in them. They not only move up and down but in and out. I'm thinking I will be pulling the front end out sometime in the near future and have the problem fixed. Fixing the problem raises a few questions.

From the above description, what is a rough estimate to take care of the problem? Is a complete rebuild necessary? Would a junkyard be a valid option?

Old 03-10-2008, 01:02 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Sounds like the bearings in the axles. You won't really know till you pull it apart. Look up your Axle at http://www.car-part.com
Select Year = 2003 Select Make/Model = Ford Truck F150 Select Part = Axle Assy FR(4WD w. Housing)
You will want this axle;
exc. 7700 GVW; w/vacuum disconnect; 3.55 ratio Unless you have the 3.31:1 gears.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 03-14-2008, 04:20 PM
How difficult are these axles to pull apart? More specifically, how hard is it to pull out the axle shafts once the housing is up on a bench? In other workds, is this a tall boy, six pack, or a case job?

Old 03-14-2008, 05:02 PM
JMC

On the passenger side you remove the 4 bolts holding the axle tube to the diff and the axle is held in by a C clip. On the driver side remove the diff cover and the axle is held in by a snap ring. The front axle assembly is heavy so get a jack and strap it to the jack then lower it.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 03-19-2008, 10:24 AM
Doesn't sound like too bad of a job. I've been looking at replacement bearings for the axle and all the part stores list an inner and outer bearing. I figured the outer bearing goes in the end of the axle tube closest to the wheel. Not sure where the inner bearing goes. Any ideas?

Old 03-19-2008, 11:12 AM
JMC

Originally Posted by dye7barrel
Doesn't sound like too bad of a job. I've been looking at replacement bearings for the axle and all the part stores list an inner and outer bearing. I figured the outer bearing goes in the end of the axle tube closest to the wheel. Not sure where the inner bearing goes. Any ideas?
Correct. The inner is in the Axle tube. That axle is long so it needs support at both ends of the axle tube. TOP OIC Number 19 is the inner bearing. Number 14 is the outer. BOTTOM PIC Number 12 in the outer, there is no inner.

JMC

Old 03-19-2008, 02:37 PM
Thanks JMC, that's exactly what I was looking for. I had a feeling the long shaft needed the inner bearing for stabilization. The diagrams make it look somewhat imtimidating with all the little parts. I guess I'll find out this weekend. I'll be sure to take some pictures and hopefully post them. Are there any other seals/bearings I should replace when I have the axle apart?

Quick Reply: Front end problems