Clutch Engagement

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Engagement

I have an 03 4.2 with 5sp and just had the clutch replaced and slave cylinder. Funny thing is that the clutch engages almost immediately with very little release. Where previously you had to let out the pedal allot to get it to release.

Is this normal? I questioned the mechanic on it and he said they bled the system and there is no other adjustment needed. Seems odd. I've never had a manual that would engage that quickly.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by tx_basser
I have an 03 4.2 with 5sp and just had the clutch replaced and slave cylinder. Funny thing is that the clutch engages almost immediately with very little release. Where previously you had to let out the pedal allot to get it to release.

Is this normal? I questioned the mechanic on it and he said they bled the system and there is no other adjustment needed. Seems odd. I've never had a manual that would engage that quickly.
1.welcome to the site
2.when i replaced the clutch (i did my own work)on my 1993 4.9L I6
the clutch would engage very quickly like yours i asked a few people and said it was normal.....look at like this the more clutch you ware the more fluid it takes to push it into the flywheel their for the less quickly it releases/engages

brice

Old 10-15-2007, 01:03 PM
tx_basser,
You've already had to replace the clutch in an '03? Is it highway-driven or offroaded/otherwise stressed out? The reason I ask is, I've got a '98 SuperCab 4.6 5-sp 2WD with 140k on it, and to my knowledge, it's got the original clutch in it. Mind you, I probably drive it like a granny compared to most, and don't use it very often to tow, but I have yet to notice any slip. Should I leave well enough alone (if it ain't broke, don't fix it), or do I need to start shopping around for a new one? To be honest, even if it was imperative that it be changed, I probably couldn't afford it right now. I bought the truck with 60k on it (from the original owner) and immediately replaced the tranny fluid, and that's the last and only attention it's had drivetrain-wise.

By the way, even though it affected the take-up as you say, did it make it any easier/smoother to take off? After 6 or 7 years of driving mine, I still have trouble getting a smooth take-off from a stop. I like to think I know how to drive a manual shift well after so long, but I'm sure it doesn't appear that way to others sometimes. My poor 4.6 just seems so down on power, I'm revving in the low gears like crazy just to keep up with the other casual drivers, and it's just like it hits a wall before 3000 rpm, and it won't shift fast enough to keep the revs up in each gear. That's the only complaint I've had with my 5-sp since owning it. In 4th or OD, I can flat roll, and pull most grades with the cruise on and lose very little speed in OD. If you told me that a new clutch would make it easier to drive, I might go for it just for that reason. Thanks for any advice.

Another thought: even though I thought that engaging the clutch pedal was supposed to cancel out cruise just like stepping on the brake, I found out the hard way that it doesn't, at least on my truck. I stepped on the clutch to shift down on a hill with cruise on, and she revved to the moon before I could get it shut off. Anybody else had this experience? Thanks again.

Fordman3

Quick Reply: Clutch Engagement