Brake/Rear Clunk.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake/Rear Clunk.

I have a 99 Supercab 4.6L 2WD.

This truck has been off the road for about 2 years. It has a nasty clunk sound coming from the rear end of the vehicle upon braking. After reading some of the threads on this forum i ended up taking out the driveshaft and lubing the slip yoke hoping this would fix the problem. It did not.

The sound only happens when braking. Never on acceleration. I also sometimes hear a faint clicking sound when turning but I'm not sure if it is related.

I'm starting to think it is in the rear brakes (drum) but they were completely replaced less than a month ago. So is it possible that my mechanic screwed up the rear brakes and something in the drum is making this noise?

Could it be the rear end itself? Axles? Wheel bearings? I'm at a loss.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First I would pull the drums to look for any problems. Does sound like a brake problem because it only happens when coming to a stop. A rear end problem would happen on take off and stop.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I should have updated this thread. The clunk ended up being a tie-rod end. It was echoing through the drivetrain so it sounded like it was coming from the rear.

Quick Reply: Brake/Rear Clunk.