4.10 gears, speedo help

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 12:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.10 gears, speedo help

Hey guys I finally got my gear swap done; 3:55 to 4:10 on stock 255/70R16 tires. I have a 97 with a mechanical speedo, and get the feeling I'm up a certain creek without a paddle. According to my math my speedo is 18% too fast, which means that I need a 23 tooth gear to replace my stock 20 tooth gear, the Ford dealer has been searching for a week for me, and could not find any in existance. From what I have gathered, to fix this I need...

1. To replace my stock tires with about a 32" tall tire and a 21 tooth speedo that will still be a little fast.

2. Talk nice to one of my Electrical engineering friends to see if we can interrupt the pulse signal to the dash, which would correct the issue.

3. Hope that one of you knows where to get a 23 tooth gear.

Thanks for all your help guys, any other half-baked ideas are welcome too.

EDIT:Oh yeah these things haul some serious ****, even with the transmission short shifting due to the speddo issue, and yes I was smart enough to break them in before I romped on them. I can't wait to tow with them, you can feel the torque gains throughout the entire powerband, best performance invest $250 and about 16 hours worth of work money and time can buy. If you don't have to pinion depth gauge don't do it unless you feel like tearing apart your *** end 4-5 times, has anyone besides me had problems with siezed pinion bearings, I had too torch them out and beat on them with a long handle 10lb. sledge.

Last edited by flareside4life; 06-22-2007 at 12:20 AM.

Quick Reply: 4.10 gears, speedo help