Pinion seal and two axle seals - cost

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just a got my 03 Fx4 screw back from the dealer. 73k miles. I'd been watching a pinion leak for several weeks, and then noticed a fluid spot on the left rear inside hub - tried to ignore that but it was clearly not the normal "spray" pattern of the pinion seal allowing fluid to blow randomly. I had also started getting a squeak from the brakes and had only a few thousand miles on pads I had replaced, so maybe that was fluid related. I read many posts here, and money is very meaningful to me, but I decided not to attempt it myself. $488 out the door for both axle and pinion seals. 321 labor 115 parts (seals and fluids) 32 tax and 20 bogus shop supplies. I don't know if that is 4 hours at 80/hr or 3.5 at 92/hr. I'm in Jersey so we may be a little higher than most of your states. Yeah, it hurts but I know it has ford behind it now, and I've recently lost confidence in the local yocal shops.

Cheers,
Homes

Old 05-26-2007, 10:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't think you got hurt too bad on the labor, but parts are a little high. Its good to be careful when it comes to pinion work.

Quick Reply: Pinion seal and two axle seals - cost