Changing Gears in One Axle

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 11:23 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Changing Gears in One Axle

Doing a gear change for a new trailer and thinking about doing just the rear axle for the time being, just to save a few bucks for crap you will need for the traler. Just thinking about it off the top of my head, the only concern is "don't use 4 wheel drive", right?? I haven't had my truck in 4 in probably over a year anyways, so don't think I'll miss it.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right, dont use 4 wheel drive. Your front and rear axle will be spinning at different speeds and it will mess alot of things up. Should be fine as long as you stay in 2 wheel.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by T-roy
Right, dont use 4 wheel drive. Your front and rear axle will be spinning at different speeds and it will mess alot of things up. Should be fine as long as you stay in 2 wheel.
i agree, i would even take off the front driveshaft, just in case it acadently gets flipped or you forget latter down the road, then once you change gears in the front, reinstall driveshaft

Old 05-12-2007, 04:46 PM
I'm gonna pay someone to do the rear axle, but has anyone done a gear change themselves?? I've done it before and turned out great so I figured the front one is not that crucial considering how much I use four wheel.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:44 AM
I would be concerned about the ABS sensors freaking out and making your braking expierience hell. With the front and rear axles going different speeds, the computer will wig out. Unless 02's dont have rear ABS, I would think you may also have to disconnect the ABSalong with the front shaft also.
Just my .02

Old 05-21-2007, 12:06 PM
That's irrelevant...the ABS sensors pick up wheel rotation, not axle. The sensor reads off a toothed section right off the back of the brake disc or hub assembly, depending on the truck. Having different axle ratios would not make a difference since the wheels are always spinning at the same rate. Also, when not ingaged in 4, the axle is still spinning at the same rate as the wheels. Since the wheels are driving the axle and not the other way around, the driveshaft may be spinning at different speeds, but the axle will be the same. That has no bearing on ABS. Good sanity check though...thanks.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:12 PM
urrggh sorry I wasn't thinkin there. now that i remember it was when my buddy put bigger tires in the rear not when he did the gears ....duh

Quick Reply: Changing Gears in One Axle