6 pages of vibration problems and no luck

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 12:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 6 pages of vibration problems and no luck

I just purchased a 2004 F-150 supercab with 80,000 miles six days ago.
I have read many pages and threads on rear end vibrations.
Most happen while turning,driving at 40+,some at 60+, some with squeeks, some with shutters and some with clanks clicks and all the other bells and whistles and even humming.
Mine only happens if I'm passing someone,or wide open.
example from today- crusing at 55mph and go to pass the little old lady ahead of me. I push the gas all the way down and once it takes off a bad vibration and sound start and it stays with me untill it either shifts to the next gear when the RPM's drop, or if I let off the gas..
anyone know what I should check?

I'm kinda bummed out about it. I didn't hear it at the dealer, I guess I didn't hammer on it hard enough. Plus I just got the truck and I'm looking at repairs? And with all I've been wasting on stereo stuff and the level kit,I could of put that into the repairs. I just hope it's nothing that needs immidiate attention and I'm going to avoid pushing it all the way for now...
Thanks in advance for your help

Old 04-27-2007, 01:11 PM
Is anyone else having this problem?
Any suggestions?

Old 04-27-2007, 05:31 PM
I'd check the driveshaft universal joints. Put your emer. brake on, transmission in neutral. Shake your drive shaft in all directions at joints and see if their tight.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:53 PM
thanks, I'll check it out tomarrow.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:21 AM
I checked them this weekend and they seem ok. I'm going to change them anyways, and bring my driveshaft in to make sure it's balanced.
Also, while I was checking them out. I noticed my driveshaft and rear end have stickers on them like they are newer or been replaced.
I'm in MN and with all the salt and snow after 3 years and 80,000 miles I find it hard to believe the original stickers would still be on it....
If I run a Carfax would it tell me if those items were serviced/changed out?
Or how can I verify if they are originals?

Old 05-01-2007, 08:44 PM
Check your motor mounts too. My truck had a vib at 50-60 MPH and the fix was for the dealer to shim the back axle on my 4x4 to put it into better allignment.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:37 AM
Carrier bearings and axle bearings

I had some similar symptoms in my 97 f-150 whenever i would turn or accelerate there would be vibrations that felt like they were coming from the rearend. i pulled all the guts out of the pumpkin, all the gears looked alright but my bearings had some pits in them. i replaced both carrier bearings and axle bearings and my symptoms have gone away. it only cost me about 100 dollars for all the bearings/seals/lubricant.

good luck

Trending Topics

Old 04-14-2009, 07:49 PM
UPDATE***** 2years and vibration fixed!!!

water pump!!!
Story below, copy and pasted from another thread.

Also, then on easter I was driving home and all of the sudden I heard a new squeal, it sounded like a fan belt, then it started to shutter horribly at a stop light a few blocks from home, once I pulled into my driveway I heard a POP then all my anti-freeze was gone! WATER PUMP **** the bed, so my uncle came over and helped me replace it today.

Here is the big deal part, I bought this truck almost 2 years ago, well 2 years on 4/20 , anyways I have had a small vibration since day 1, very small back then... and it progressed since then. It would only happen over 3000 rpms,and it turned out to be the damn water pump!!! not even kidding, it's running smooth as could be, and the weird vibration is 100% gone!!!!! I have had at least 10 mechanics ride in it and countless friends and no one ever thought it was anything internal, and I even told my uncle that I bet the vibration came from the water pump this whole time and he said there is no way it took 2 years go go out, and I said I bet it has, cuz i have babied it this whole time, and I'm not even joking, I was so easy on it that it's sickning. So long story short, if you have a vibration that you just can't locate, check your water pump, it could be going out.

Also, i wish i had taken a pic of the water pump before I let carquest throw it, it was completley curved, The propeller should be flat on the back part (that points "IN" to the engine), and it was curved in on each blade. All the guys up there looked at it an no one had seen one that bad before.

I'm so pumped the vibration is gone. ! I just thought I'd post this info just incase anyone else can't locate their weird vibration.!!!

Old 04-14-2009, 10:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow, that's definitely a weird way to cure what seemed like a driveline vibration! Good job!

Quick Reply: 6 pages of vibration problems and no luck