4x4 Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 Question

Ok so I got a 2002 Supercrew, My dad told me its not good to go over 40mph when in four wheel drive, can some one confirm this? also when I put it in 4x4 and make a hard turn it starts to jerk like hell, and when there is no gas applied it will just stop when turning, but im pretty sure this is because there is no front differential. Could someone please also confirm this for me please.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:17 PM
fords manual says that you can travel no faster than 70mph in 4x4hi. As for the turning I dont know but mine does the same thing so I usually just put it in 2x4 if I am turning tight corners and such.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
According to the owner's manual, it should be engaged at speeds of no more than 55 (45 when below freezing) but once engaged, drive it as fast as you wish.

As for the binding when turning, that's called driveline bind-up, and it's very bad. If you experience driveline bind-up, you shouldn't be in 4wd anyways as you are likely on a high-traction surface. Your front differential is working just fine.

-Joe

Old 03-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
Originally Posted by GIJoeCam
According to the owner's manual, it should be engaged at speeds of no more than 55 (45 when below freezing) but once engaged, drive it as fast as you wish.

As for the binding when turning, that's called driveline bind-up, and it's very bad. If you experience driveline bind-up, you shouldn't be in 4wd anyways as you are likely on a high-traction surface. Your front differential is working just fine.

-Joe
Very well said..

Quick Reply: 4x4 Question