Gear set break-in

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gear set break-in

What are the proper procedures for breaking in a new ring and pinion in the front differential?

Old 01-28-2007, 07:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation

http://www.amsoil.com/dealer/techser...al_Breakin.pdf

I just had my 8.8 [I]rear[I] differential rebuilt and during the first 100 miles I could not exceed 50mph and every 10 miles I had to stop and let the differential cool down for 20-30 minutes.After 500 miles I changed the fluid and its broke in.

Old 01-29-2007, 02:01 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i recomend easy driving with no extended periods in at the same RPM, no long trips for the first 500 miles change fluid at 500 miles and then have fun. good luck

Old 01-29-2007, 08:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Those are both good tips for a rear diff, but he asked about the front diff....

I don't know that there's any need, to be honest with you. The factory gear set doesn't call for anything specific either. When the 4wd is disengaged, the ring and pinion aren't turning, so no matter what speed the rear axle is running, the front gears aren't wearing.

I'd contact the ring and pinion manufacturer and see what they recommend. They may have some better ideas, but engaging it on dry pavement and running it shouldn't be one of them.

-Joe

Old 01-29-2007, 07:16 PM
Thanks GIJoeCam. That's kind of what I thought. I figured that since the front gears are not normally turning then they shouldn't overheat or anything. I guess I just won't do any real hard 'wheeling until I use 'em lightly for a while.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There was some discussion about this same topic around here a while back (maybe 12-18 months??) I just wish I could recall what the consensus was... I can't even remember if we came to one!?

-Joe

Old 01-29-2007, 11:36 PM
Well it's not really a huge deal as I haven't regeared yet. I was just thinking and realized I hadn't heard or read anything on this topic. I'm going to regear my rear in a week or two and then the front in probably a month. I'll talk to a couple shops and if I find anything out I'll post it on this thread. Like you said, the front differential is not put through nearly as much stress as the rear so I think the break in period is probably next to nothing. There's not too much snow here in South Florida so driving around in 4hi is probably not the best idea lol.

Quick Reply: Gear set break-in