Synth rear end fluid - where?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2000, 01:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Synth rear end fluid - where?

I'm planning to replace my potentially contaminated rear end fluid. It's the 75-140 Synthetic stuff. The dealer quoted me U$28 + tax for one bottle. U$80 to replace 3 quarts is a bit steep. Are there any other sources for this really hard to find oil?
Fritz

------------------
2000 F150 XLT 4x2 ExtCab Styleside 4.6 Auto in Island Blue with Dark Graphite interior.
Superchip, K&N with Airbox Mod, PowerAid, LeBra soft tonneau, LineX, Ford Bugshield,
2in lowering shackles, Hellwig Swaybar, Monroe Reflex Shocks, 100w Head and Fog lights,
Clifford Alarm, Blaupunkt CD, JBL comp speakers, Punch subwoofers, ECM Jammer Pod.

Old 04-23-2000, 07:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fritzthecat- I changed my oil in the rear end to mobil 75/140 heavy duty gear oil. {2.98 qt.} I also added 2 bottles of friction modifier. {6.00 @} The gear oil is not full synthetic but It works great. The fricton modifier I got from the ford dealer and the gear oil from a tractor supply house. Total cost 18.00 us. If you change your gear oil every year or two you don't need the synthetic. Just my .02

------------------
Capt. America..,
1998 F-150 XLTSC...2WD.. . 4.10LS rear...auto E40D... 5.4L...Flairside... Ground effects... Billet Pedals... Billet Grill... Billet Brake lite... Oval Mirror... Bed rails... Bug Deflector... Wood Grain Kit...Fog lites... TPS...Velocity tube... K&N... ss Ford tag.,.Tinted Windows... overhead/floor consoles... Mood lights...Blue bulbs... Alarm...Radar...Dashmat... Fire/Ice rear window tint ...conspicuity reflectors... cd changer...mobil 1... Painted rear Drums... Helwing Sway Bar... Dual Exhaust... Halogen Back-up bulbs... clear corner lens...
Tail lens covers... Leather...Floor Mats... Seat covers...Tow Pkge...
Side window Louvers... Painted Brake calipers... Custom Captian America Paint Job...TRIPLE LED brake lights...Rain guards... Painted throttle body cover...sliding rear window...Superchip...Custom Gas cap holder...2" leveling shackels...Fox tail key chain...Clear turn signal bulbs..

[This message has been edited by CAPT. AMERICA (edited 04-23-2000).]

Old 04-23-2000, 10:09 AM
I know as a fact that CARQUEST stores have synthetic 75-140 for I believe $7/qt. It's the Valvoline brand. It is out there, you might just have to "dig" a little. Good Luck!@

Old 04-23-2000, 10:08 PM
Wink

You want sources for synthetic lube?

Check out the Approved Lubricants link at the bottom of the page at: http://truck.eaton.com/na/service_pr.../approve_lube/

Eaton is *the* pioneer with respect to synthetic lubricants in vehicle gear boxes (While no longer directly involved in the project, I set up the Eaton Roadranger field reps' used lube sampling program back in the mid-80's -- and participated in the testing which precipitated Eaton's approval of, and ultimate push to synthetics. Our first approved synthetics were the Roadranger Synthetics -- custom blended and developed in partnership for us).

The industry followed us. Many of the heavy trucks have been factory-filled with synthetics for over a decade.

We all benefit.

Enjoy.

------------------
Y2K™

XLT SC SB 5.4L 3.73LS

Old 04-24-2000, 09:56 AM
If you have a LS differential, you need synthetic gear oil, regardless on how often you replace your fluid. Trust me. I definitely wouldn't take it in to a dealer to get the fluids replaced. Do it yourself, and if you have problems down the road, they should still warranty it because they have no record on file of water actually being in there. The service manager told me thats why they won't warranty mine, otherwise they would of. Big mistake on my part!

[This message has been edited by fordification (edited 04-24-2000).]

Quick Reply: Synth rear end fluid - where?