Fuel tank not filling to capacity

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel tank not filling to capacity

I recently bought a 1999 F-150 SuperCab and had the pleasure of filling it up yesterday. The gas light was not on, but it was right at empty. When the gas stopped the pump read just less than 18 gallons. I could not put anymore in without the handle clicking off. When I started back up my fuel gauge only read 3/4 full. The cost was approx $53 so I don't think I needed to start over. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-24-2006, 03:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your tank will not be truly empty - even if you run the truck completely out of gas. There's always just a bit that the fuel pump can't suck out. When your gage reads empty, you actually have several gallons left. Even when the Low Fuel warning comes on, you have a bit left. Think of it as a factor of safety.

As for it reading only 3/4 full when you topped it right up, if you didn't shut the truck off while fueling, it will take a bit to read true. On the other hand, if you did shut it off, don't worry until the next fill up. If it does it again, seek professional help.

Old 05-24-2006, 04:11 PM
What's the capacity of your fuel tank? If you put in 18 gallons and had 2 in the tank to start, for a total of 20, that would calculate to about a 26.5 gallon tank. If your gauge is correct at three quarters full (20 divided by 3 times 4 = 26.66).

Old 05-24-2006, 06:05 PM
My tank capacity is 25 gallons. I understand your calculations, but why would the pump shut off which normally indicates a full tank and then my fuel gauge only registered to 3/4 full?

Old 05-24-2006, 06:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when I fill mine up the pump shuts me down then I squeze real slightly and can put another 2 gallons in the tank. I have had a few times I fill up and it goes to 3/4 but next time I get back in it it goes back to Full.

Old 05-24-2006, 08:36 PM
This is a clear case of operator error. How often have you used a gas pump? do you use your left or right hand on the filling handle? what are you holding with the other hand?

Old 05-24-2006, 10:21 PM
You know, that happened to me a few weeks ago! My fuel gauge wasn't quite at empty, so I stopped to get some gas. When the handle clicked, I put it up and hopped in my truck. When I turned it on, the fuel gauge read only about 3/4 full, so I looked at the pump, and sure enough, my damn tank was only 3/4 full.

I stopped a few days later with like 1/2 tank, and filled it up no problem. I guess it was a random pump failure or something. I don't think anything is wrong with my truck, but I suspect the problem was with the pump equipment.

Old 05-25-2006, 07:12 AM
Originally Posted by johnemmasdad
My tank capacity is 25 gallons. I understand your calculations, but why would the pump shut off which normally indicates a full tank and then my fuel gauge only registered to 3/4 full?
I would guess that a 25 gallon tank indicates your gauge is fairly accurate. As far as why it shut off, there seems to be a wide variation from pump to pump as to when they shut off. I've always assumed they had a sensor for back pressure but I don't know for sure. They seem to be much more accurate than they were 20 years ago but they usually are set on the safe side. You don't see to many that overflow anymore.
Try a few more gas stations before paying for any repair work.

Old 05-25-2006, 07:53 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I have a '99 with a 25 gallon tank.
If you had said your low fuel light was On and you could only put in 18 gallons that would be cause for concern.

When my Light first comes on, I can put in about 21 gallons which means there's about 4 in the tank.

Since your Light was not on, who knows how much you can pump?
Somewhere between 1 and 21.

I trust neither the gauge or the Light, even thoug the Light does work.
I fill up and hit the Trip Reset button.
I know at 400 miles on the meter I am officially stupid. (25 X 16)

I can use the Trip Meter reading several days out to determine if I can get from here to there.

(If someone else drives my truck and happens to put gas in, I'm screwed)
(If that happens, I just fill up right away and start over)

Old 05-25-2006, 09:37 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Raoul
I have a '99 with a 25 gallon tank.
If you had said your low fuel light was On and you could only put in 18 gallons that would be cause for concern.

When my Light first comes on, I can put in about 21 gallons which means there's about 4 in the tank.

Since your Light was not on, who knows how much you can pump?
Somewhere between 1 and 21.

I trust neither the gauge or the Light, even thoug the Light does work.
I fill up and hit the Trip Reset button.
I know at 400 miles on the meter I am officially stupid. (25 X 16)

I can use the Trip Meter reading several days out to determine if I can get from here to there.

(If someone else drives my truck and happens to put gas in, I'm screwed)
(If that happens, I just fill up right away and start over)
Now there is a great idea, I will start loaning my truck out so they will put gas in it!

Old 05-25-2006, 11:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Raoul,

I don't need a meter to "tell me I'm officially stupid." The ex takes care of that on a regular basis!

Quick Reply: Fuel tank not filling to capacity