Front wheel bearing replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front wheel bearing replacement question

I have a 1999 F150 4x4. The drivers side front wheel bearing is bad. Do I have to replace the entire hub assembly or is the correct fix just a bearing reaplacement?

Old 02-27-2006, 11:37 PM
You'll need the whole hub as the bearing is not serviced separate. It isn't too bad a job as long as there isn't much rust. Good luck!

Old 03-01-2006, 03:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ditto. Remove the wheel center cap and remove the cotter pin, retainer, and spindle nut (easier to do with the wheel still on, and it'll be very tight!), remove the wheel (5 nuts), caliper anchor plate(2 bolts, and hang the caliper from a piece of wire), rotor (will probably require a big f---in' hammer to do so), and the three bolts holding the hub assembly into the spindle/upright. Don't forget to unplug the ABS sensor wire.

Apply a VERY thin layer of anti-seize to the back of the rotor where it meets the hub flange. That'll prevent it from seizing to the new hub flange.

Old 03-01-2006, 07:54 PM
I see some good advice has already been given.

When I changed mine, I replaced the ball joints. this meant that I did not have to remove the front axles to change the bearings. Check your upper control arm, if you see TRW stamped on it, I would suggest replacing (or check it at least). See below for a money saving tip that should work for this too!

Also, I printed out the ADVANCEAUTOPARTS.COM webpage for the CHEAPEST wheel bearing they had ($150) and took it to HI/LO who matched the price with a MOOG bearing ($190ish). So, find an autoparts store that will match prices and maybe save yourself some $$$$.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Old 03-02-2006, 08:46 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You don't have to remove the axles regardless, but the outer CV has to be removed from the hub to replace it. Even if you're doing ball joints, you have to remove the nut to slip the spline out.

-Joe

Old 03-08-2006, 01:51 PM
What's the best way to check the status of the bearings? I'm getting a rubbing from the driverside on my 97 - initially suspected the caliper was locking up or something, but there isn't any excessive brake wear I can see.

Guess I'd like to somehow know positively that this is the issue before I go through all that to get it replaced... though on the upside, I've found the assembly NEW on Ebay for short money... but we all know how Ebay works now don't we... LOL

Quick Reply: Front wheel bearing replacement question