Buying truck, question about noise when shifting into 4X4

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 08:16 PM
AJW
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying truck, question about noise when shifting into 4X4

Hi,

I'm new to the forums and kind of new to 4X4's so please excuse me if I'm being paranoid. I'm looking at buying a 2000 F150 XLT 4X4 5.4L. It has only 60,000 KM on it and is in very good shape. It drives like a dream, very solid and tight, kind of bouncy but that's to be expected with a 4X4 (I know that much).

My question is when I toggle the 4X4 switch (i'm only moving the switch while standing still not driving) to 4H it makes a clicking noise in the front end (which I know is not a problem it's just the transfer case). Now when I toggle the switch to 4L (while in neutral) in clicks and actually makes a noise (a click/clunk) that seems to be coming from the rear of the truck. Do these trucks have locking differentials in the rear? Is that the noise I'm hearing?

Thanks!

Old 02-22-2006, 10:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The noise is the shift motor switching the transfer case to 4 low. The shift forks inside the case do clunk and it is perfectly normal. To tell if the diff is a locker or not, look at the tag. At some point you will see the numbers 3 55 or 3 73. If there is an L between them ( 3 L 73 ) then it is a limited slip unit. If not, then it is an open diff.

Quick Reply: Buying truck, question about noise when shifting into 4X4