can i tank a trac-lok?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 07:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can i tank a trac-lok?

Hey guys, recently i bought a slightly used Ford Traction Lok for my F150, 9.75. when i recieved it, it was evident that it had been sandblasted and painted. yes, the whole thing. painted. inside and out. my question is, will tanking the unit damage the clutch discs, or anything else for that matter. there are already bearings on the carrier but they have no grease or oil on them yet so i dont figure that would be damaged.

Im not looking for speculation here guys, i need someone to tell me YES is ok to tank my posi, or NO its not ok.

thanks in adavnce!!

Old 10-13-2005, 04:40 PM
Banned for Use of Multiple Usernames
Pull it apart and make sure they didn't get any paint inside the clutches. While it is apart, you can tank the carrier to remove the paint. You will want to change the bearings if they are not new.

Old 10-13-2005, 05:18 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i agree with jeeps and fords

Old 10-16-2005, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by SoundPer4mance
Hey guys, recently i bought a slightly used Ford Traction Lok for my F150, 9.75. when i recieved it, it was evident that it had been sandblasted and painted. yes, the whole thing. painted. inside and out. my question is, will tanking the unit damage the clutch discs, or anything else for that matter. there are already bearings on the carrier but they have no grease or oil on them yet so i dont figure that would be damaged.

Im not looking for speculation here guys, i need someone to tell me YES is ok to tank my posi, or NO its not ok.

thanks in adavnce!!
I would advise against putting differential clutches in any parts cleaning tank that contains any caustic material. Okay to clean in mineral spirits.

Quick Reply: can i tank a trac-lok?