what gear ratio should i get with 33s

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what gear ratio should i get with 33s

i have 33s on my 1994 4wd f150 351W, and i want to change my gear ratio to where i get stock gas milage or better i am willing to sacrice a little preformance for the extra gas milage. My truck used to have 31s on it,l but then i lifted it and put 33s on it i would like to get my gas milage back, also will the change in the ratio fix the spedometer reading to were it is acurate

Old 07-20-2005, 06:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
nothing you can really do short of changing it all back to stock will help you get your gas milage back, by lifting it with the larger tires you have more wind resistance rolling resistance from the tires. by changing the ring and pinion ratio (gears) it is a trade off, right now you have a higher gear ratio witch will get you better highway milage but less mpg city if you were to go to a lower gear ratio (numericly higher) you would get better city milage and less highway mpg, so it is a trade off, in my truck i get 11 mpg but i have a low gear ratio for offroading and more low rpm grunt, it is a trade off and nothing you can really do can get that back best thing is just to keep it well tuned up and running great, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but good luck

Old 07-20-2005, 07:17 PM
i am looking for a better hiway milage on my truck what should i get

Old 07-20-2005, 07:40 PM
i have bf goodrich at ko's 33's on my truck. i have the stock 3.55 in my 4x4. it doesnt hurt performance much.. never had anything with lower ( higher number) gears tho. but my gas mileage is pretty good. i also have true dual exhaust with blanace pipe and glass packs, intake, and a superchips (performance 91 setting) im pleased with the milage im getting... and hey its a truck

Old 07-20-2005, 07:44 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what ratio do you have in there now? check the tag if it is stock, the money you spend on changing out the ring and pinion will be enough gas for your truck for a year, and you probably already have a high ratio with those stock gears and 33"

Quick Reply: what gear ratio should i get with 33s