Clicking On Drivers Side Front Axle

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 01:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clicking On Drivers Side Front Axle

I was driving back from elk hunting Tuesday and heard a clicking noise coming from the left side of the front axle (03 F150 FX4 20K miles). It happened as I was doing approx 35 mph going downhill on a logging road. I drove for about 400yds thinking it was a pebble in the tire tread making the noise but it wasn't. I put it in 4 Hi drove about 50 yards and went back to 2 WD and the clicking went a way. I haven't played with the front end yet so I'm not familiar with new auto hub but I'm thinking it was the auto hub on the left side trying to engage. (My 92 Ranger had (past tense) auto hubs and I got rid of those after a while and went to manuals due to similar engaging problems)

I haven't had any problems since Tuesday. It's still under warranty. My questions are:

1. Has anyone else had this clicking problem?

2. For my future knowledge, is there an aftermarket manual hub for the 03's yet?

Thanks....John

BTW....the elk was a 4 x 4, my first one!!

Old 11-22-2004, 08:06 PM
hey john that sounds like the same problem i am having .04 supercrew with 6000 kms,no cure yet

Old 11-22-2004, 09:49 PM
The 97+ F150s don't have hubs any longer. They use a center axle disconnect and no, there is no conversion kit since the entire axle would have to be rengineered. I would first look at either a ujoint or a CV joint.

Old 11-23-2004, 11:43 PM
Powerstroke,

I learn something new everyday!

So then is the disconnect inside the differential?

It sounded like I had a big bolthead stuck in the tire and I was on asphalt. It was a one-to-one click/tick. In the past with older vehicles, whenever I had a u-joint go it would be a consistant noise or it would clunk going from fwd to reverse. I hear what your saying about these not having hubs anymore but it sure sounded like my little ranger once when the autohub started to go.

If it went away by engaging-disenaging 4wd how would it be a u-joint or cv joint?

I have not had any problems since last Tuesday. Not sure what to do at this stage of the game.

John

Old 11-24-2004, 11:17 PM
I missed the 2wd part. I would look at the ujoints in the front driveshaft possibly or the bearing assemblies. It could still be the CVs going dry and it it stopped clicking temporarily. Look for any torn CV boots or leaking grease.

Quick Reply: Clicking On Drivers Side Front Axle