Valueable U-joint Info. on Ford Trucks with Aluminum Driveshafts

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 08:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valueable U-joint Info. on Ford Trucks with Aluminum Driveshafts

Aluminum driveshafts do not work well with adjoining cast / steel driveline components. Galvenic corrosion happens when you mix aluminum and steel or cast iron components.

To inhibit galvenic corrosion, purchase u-joints that are chemically coated to prevent this corrosive process. To my knowledge Spicer was the only manufactuer that was producing this type of material as of two years go when I quit building driveshafts. Coated u-joint will be exactly as a regular Spicer; however, it will be coated and very hard to distinguish between a standard Spicer u-joint. Part numbers on coated u-joints are different than standard, non-coated u-joints. Examble: 5-134x might be standard part vs 5-1207X, coated part.

Installing coated u-joints will make the next removal much easier. I have no idea if FOMOCO uses coated u-joints. I would doubt it--due to cost savings.

Aluminum driveshafts are excellent for reduced rotating mass and weight. Aluminum driveline weld yokes and tubing are very strong, yet, easy to damage and not many driveline repair facilities have the ability to repair damaged ends. Many shops will want to build a new "steel" driveshaft. This is because they have no means (investment $$$) to repair and fabricate aluminum.

Never strike or clamp any driveshaft on the tubing. I hope this helps-and enjoy the wonderful website. gearmanx17

Last edited by gearmanx17; 05-07-2004 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:29 PM
So does this mean I shouldn't get an aluminum drive shaft? I thought about doing it while replacing the rear end but then I ran out of cash and it's it's only 75 bucks to shorten the existing one I thought whatever. Considering the tire-smoking output of my V6 LOL it would just be for looks anyways. Maybe one day when I get the charger..

Old 05-14-2004, 06:02 PM
Lightbulb

I would not stray away from alunimum driveshaft's. I submitted this thread to promote awarness of the corrosion problem and steps to prevent the galvenic corrosion problem of aluminum to steel components on Ford drivelines.
When u-joints need replacing on my wife's 99, or my 94 Ranger, you can bet that they will be replaced with the Spicer chemically coated u-joints.

Old 05-15-2004, 01:58 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Where can you get an aluminum driveshaft for our trucks???

Old 05-15-2004, 07:58 PM
I don't know about off-the-shelf aluminum shafts which I believe would only fit Lightnings but mine would have been custom made. The shop even tried to sell me a carbon fiber one but I gracefully declined LOL.

Last edited by LeanNCut; 05-16-2004 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:51 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What shop is this?? How much was the carbon fiber one? That would be the ultimate way to go. Why did you decline???

Old 05-16-2004, 04:40 PM
These people build alunimum driveshafts: http://www.pattersondriveshaft.com/

Trending Topics

Old 05-16-2004, 10:05 PM
Hi Galaxy,

It's a local shop around here which wouldn't be very useful for you. The aluminum one would have been around $350. Carbon fiber, I have no idea. I just wasn't interested to ask for price since the carbon fiber look just isn't my thing. Just check your yellow pages for driveshaft shops near you which I'm sure there are a bunch.

Quick Reply: Valueable U-joint Info. on Ford Trucks with Aluminum Driveshafts