Moto gears (Good or Bad?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 08:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motive gears (Good or Bad?)

Finally got a price on swapping out my front and rear ring and pinion. $1400 out the door! That is installing Motive gear (the brand name). Is this a known brand or some cheap set? This sounds like a good price to me, am I wrong? He also had me look at the tags under the front and rear and I think I have a 9.75 rear and 8.8 front. Is that normal to have different sizes like that?
Thanks for any info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by gata119; 03-05-2004 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:37 PM
I believe they are a good brand. I know a ford mechanic that does stuff on the side at home and he was installing a set into some old car he was restoring. (can not remember what car it was) anyhow he was installing motive gears. I am eventually gonna change mine. i have 8.8 in the rear and 8.8 ifs in the front. i found the gears at www.drivetrainsuperstores.com I was going to go with OEM 4.56 gears and motive master install kits with a modified cross shaft and it was gonna cost me $485.18. Royal purple gear oil for front and back was $47.82. And that same mechanic I mention earlier(by the way he is head tranny guy at local ford dealership) is gonna install them for $300.
A lot better than the $2000 quote i got from a specialty shop. $1400 is not bad either if you have to go to a shop and have it done. gonna be able to get mine done for under $1000 fortunately.

your question about the different sizes. Yes it is normal. Some f-150's have the 9.75 rear. I think mainly it is the trucks with the 5.4

Last edited by dewalt17; 03-26-2004 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:34 AM
I have had excellent luck with motive gear R/P's in 9" Ford deep ratios for circle track racing. I sold several, when I was in the parts business, and installed (1) Motive in 8.5" GM application and had nothing but noise complaints. I personally would not use or reccomend motive for any GM 8.5" or any domestic vehicle such as a rear wheel van, or people mover chassis (Expy, Explorer, Durando).

The Motive gear that I personally had problems with I installed in a friends 92 Chevy pick-up. Gear was quiet for two days. After two days a noticeable harmonic whine developed between approx. 48 and 68 mph.

This drove my friend crazy. The Motive gear showed no signs of irregular tooth contact pattern. No signs of lubrication failure or any other distress, when I removed and examined it. I reinstalled a US gear--no further problems. I continue to use Motive for racing applications; however, for my on road vehicles, I would never use a Motive gearset.

Quick Reply: Moto gears (Good or Bad?)