Anyone know how much to convert to posi?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 08:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone know how much to convert to posi?

Has anyone done this? I have 2wd and Im seriously
thinking of it for the winter and better overall traction.
Thanks for any input,
Dan

Old 12-08-2003, 08:30 AM
For an 8.8", 31 spline differential:
  • Eaton Differential - $360.00
  • Ring & Pinion set - $150.00-$190.00
  • Installation kit - $80.00
  • 3 Liters of differential fluid
  • 5-6 Hours Labor

$800-$900 generally. Best price I've found for the Eaton unit (this is what you want) is at http://nationaldrivetrain.com I also see them sell regularly for around $300.00 on eBay.

Last edited by AjRagno; 12-08-2003 at 08:33 AM.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the info man, I didnt know it would cost so freeking much, think I'll wait till spring and do the work myself.
Thanx again,
Dan

Old 12-09-2003, 12:44 PM
You could always go the Powertrax route. $400ish and install it yourself. No additional pieces necessary except new gear oil.
I have one in my '97 4x4 8.8" and it is great in the slippery stuff. No slip at all just full power to both wheels.
Installed in the driveway with hand tools. Having another person helps when spinning the axles to line things up.
-tom

Old 12-09-2003, 08:05 PM
Thanks Tom! That might be just the ticket for me, I checked out there website, does it take some abuse? Not that im gonna beat on my truck but who knows what futer mods will be.
Also how long was the instalation?

dan

Old 12-09-2003, 10:36 PM
Dan7, this is what I wrote in some previous threads here and elsewhere after I did my install.

For those looking for some info on the Powertrax Differential units, I've had a Powertrax No-Slip for about a year now. I have a 97 x-cab 4x4 with a 3.08 rear, I soon found the open rear to be a major drawback for my truck. God forbid I gave it any gas at all around a turn in the rain, spun like crazy. So I bought my Powertrax unit from a guy who got it for his truck which was stolen before he installed the unit. I installed the unit in about an hour in the driveway with hand tools. I used the Ford 75W140 gear oil rather than the aftermarket 75W90, 50% less viscosity at high temperature is too much for me to give up. The unit does pop around turns for about the first day, they say 50 miles or so. The unit will pop very rarely now after 8Kish miles.
The traction difference is amazing. There is NO differentiation in the wet or mud ;-) Both tires get full power all the time. The inside tire does scrub any time I give it gas around a tight corner, kind of annoying but I learned to adjust my driving. Since the Lock Right is supposed to be a much harsher unit, I would recommend the No-Slip to anyone looking to upgrade their open diff to get some serious traction.
I was just mudding this weekend with a buddy in his jeep CJ-7, the F150 was able to go anywhere and everywhere the Jeep could.
If anyone has any questions about the install or what have you, let me know.
-tom

and this:

I'm sure you will be happy with it. Do you have a 4x4? If not you will appreciate it even more, one wheel peal sucks.
I have learned to give the truck some throttle before entering a turn and then let it coast through. Otherwise I scrub that inside tire like crazy. I know that is exactly how it is supposed to work but it can't help the treadwear that's for sure.
Ripping donuts in the mud now that is fun, seeing 2 big rooster tails coming out the back.
-tom

and this:

I installed a Powertrax No-Slip myself with a little help from a buddy. It is really nice to have 2 people since you need to spin the tires and slide the axles in and out a bit to get everything to line up and seat correctly. One guy manipulates the tire while the other futzes inside the pumpkin. One thing to be careful of is the pinion bolt. It is a 10mm if I recall correctly and it is tight. Tight, meaning getting it to turn and also tight to get a ratchet onto. DO NOT slip the socket off while trying to break the bolt loose, otherwise the bolt will round and then you are F-ed. If you have any mechanical skills and can follow directions (which I'm assuming you do since you are going to try this yourself) the install should take about an hour or so. I think you will be pleased with the difference in the truck
-tom

hope that is some good info for you.
-tom

Old 12-10-2003, 08:15 AM
???

Is this the same as limited slip? Or something different? I've been interested in getting better tractions but didn't want to spend alot of $$$.

Trending Topics

Old 12-10-2003, 09:51 AM
lowriderf150
It is more like a locker that allows you to go around turns. Limited slip is like it says: one tire gets power and the other gets 'limited' power. It is limited by the amount of clamping force the clutches can provide.
The Powertrax unit mechanically locks the axles so that both tires get full power. The unit does allow the outside tire to overrun in a turn, BUT if you give throttle in the turn the unit will try to lock again and the inside tire will bark a little bit. Turning in the messy stuff the rear WILL come around or step out, depending on the right foot, as the case may be.
You can't get better power distribution than 50-50 which is what the Powertrax provides.
-tom

Old 12-10-2003, 02:28 PM
If you get Eaton, make sure you only run mineral based oil, not synthetic. The carbon fiber in the unit doens't do well with synthetic oils. Same thing with Tremec trannies with carbon fiber syncro rings.

Old 12-11-2003, 08:14 AM
Thanks for all the replies and taking the time and posting all this info ttimoney, I think this is the way for me to go.
My truck is a 2wd so I would like to get it done fast for the winter!

Last edited by Dan7; 12-11-2003 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:30 AM
You want to do it cheap just weld the spider gears.

And you WILL have a POSI.

Old 12-24-2003, 11:26 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't forget about the OEM Ford traction lock. You can get it at a Ford dealer for about $250. If you want is to lock tighter you can resatack the clutches. It is also rebuildable. New clutches cost about $50. You'll also need new bearings for the carrier. If you do it yourself, reuse your ring, you should be able to get it done for about $325. Look at www.corral.net for techincal articles on 8.8 installs. The tech feature on the corral is not working this morning so I couldn't get you a direct link.

Old 12-25-2003, 05:14 AM
Do they make a Powertrax unit for my truck I have 3.55 LS rear end on my 03 4x4

John

Last edited by je3169; 12-25-2003 at 05:25 AM.
Old 12-25-2003, 09:59 PM
Thumbs up Anyobdy know a good rear end shop....

.....in or near Cincinnati where you would have this work done? I'd love to get an Eaton posi pu ton, but need a shop referral.

Thanks for your help!

Old 12-27-2003, 10:15 PM
Powertrax?

TTIMONEY,

So the Powertrax unit is posi traction? How do you think that would work on my reg cab F150 with 20" LP rims and tires and Belltech 3/4" drop. I'm mainly looking to improve traction in the rain, which it does alot of here in S. Fla!
Thanx JR

Quick Reply: Anyone know how much to convert to posi?