Pump to change oil in rear?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pump to change oil in rear?

Is there such and animal? I'd like to know because the dealer supposely change the rear end oil without taking the cover off.
And changed the trans filter without taking the cover off. Going to talk to the service manager today but need to know if they maybe use a pump for the rear. To clean it properly I would take the cover off and clean under the ring gear and cover.

Thanks

Lou

Old 10-24-2003, 03:34 PM
Went to dealer this morning and they said it was a miss communication between the service writer and the mechanic. I went to get the purple service done, but that service doen't enclude a trans filter. I told the service writer I wanted a filter and trans pan cleaning which he agreed. But the mechanic said we don't do that on the purple service deal. Anyway I had them put a new filter on and drain the torque converter. Also they do have a pump for changing the rear end oil. I wish they would of taken the pan off and cleaned the bottom of the pumpkin. So all is done at no charge to me. It's pretty bad when I have to check up on them.

Old 10-24-2003, 08:09 PM
Yes, there is such an animal; however, it is a "suck gun". Yes, a "suck gun". It looks a lot like a 12" long cyllindrical grease gun. The gun has a 3/8" hose attached to the end. You remove the differential vent tube (usually to the driver side, and on top of the differential housing) and insert tube of "suck gun" and pull plunger on the gun rearward. The gun will only suck amount of liquid each time to fill its volumetric capicity. It make take several draws to empty the differential housing.

On a 8.8" differential you may be able to remove the fill plug and attach a longer hose to the gun to get suction from bottom of diff. housing. Many differentials (like a 9" Ford) when you remove the fill plug; the ring gear is directly behind the plug and blocks access to using a "suck gun".

I recently purchased a "suck gun" from the local Harbor Freight Tools for about $6.00 (U.S. funds).

Quick Reply: Pump to change oil in rear?