drivetrain clunking

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 09:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry drivetrain clunking

i've been driving a 1999 Ford F-150 XLT supercab, 6 ft. bed for about two years now. about 6 months after I bought it in 2001 (used, by the way) I started noticing a "clunking" feel somewhere in the drivetrain when coming to a complete stop. it's like there's an extra peice somewhere on the drivetrain that's still spinning for about 8/10ths of a second after the truck comes to a stop. the whole truck shutters becuase of this and it's really starting to worry me. i've talked to my dealer when I discovered it, they couldn't find anything. it's been about a year now, it's been doing it all along and the past week it's gotten worse. we took it to a local auto-repair (Burnett Automotive, for those in the Northeast Kansas area they're great) and they suggested that it might be the transmission, but they aren't sure. it could be somewhere else in the drivetrain but we have yet to have the transmission shop look at it. if there's anybody with ANY similar problems to this, please post. btw i'm a newbie on these forums, i hope that somebody knows what this is, it'd be a lot of help. I posted this on the transmission message-board also, just hoping that someone over here might know what this is to.

Old 10-22-2003, 09:58 PM
Welcome aboard. Somewhat common trouble is usually fixed by dropping the driveshaft and using a good spline lube (Caterpiller Desert Gold Grease part # 129-1939) on the output shaft of the transmission where the driveshaft couples up. Spread an even, (not excessive) amount on the internal splines of the yoke side of the driveshaft and re-assemble. This is assuming of course that your u-joints are still good. Check these as well while the driveshaft is out.....jb

Old 10-22-2003, 10:07 PM
would I be able to have this procedure done with that specific grease component at the shop? do you know how much this might cost?

Dave

Old 10-22-2003, 10:36 PM
I paid under $5 for a 12oz tub of the stuff at the local Cat dealer. perfect stuff for this application, has 5% moly in the mix and the mixture really sticks to the surface too... Not too tough for anyone to tackle. Put the truck in neutral with the wheels blocked so it does not roll, then undo the u-bolts and drop the driveshaft from the differental yoke side. Slide back the driveshaft and lower it to the ground...jb P.S. Buy a Haynes manual on the F150, it is better info than the owners manual for most maintaince!

Old 10-22-2003, 10:44 PM
thanks, this will help a lot..... where would a local cat dealer be? I see that you're from the flint hills area, the only cat place I can think of is a rental place in Manhattan...... anywhere else in this region?

Old 10-23-2003, 10:20 PM
Dude: Where are you at in Kansas?

Old 10-23-2003, 11:05 PM
I live in Manhattan, been here for almost 12 years. are you near here? close enough to be labeled flint hills, at least

Quick Reply: drivetrain clunking