CV Boot Warranty Rejected!??

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 08:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question CV Boot Warranty Rejected!??

My FX4 Supercrew is only six months old and only has 18K on it. During a routine oil change the dealer noticed that both of my outer CV Boots were shot. Each boot looks like somewhone wrung out a wet towel, they are all twisted on themselves and now leaking. Nobody has seen this happen to boots before so the dealership does not want to warranty them saying that it must have been something that I had done while driving!

This truck has only been off the road once and not very aggressively at that. Built Ford tough does not mean much to me anymore.

Has anybody ever seen this before? Does anybody have any suggestions for working with my dealer/Ford?

Old 08-06-2003, 04:09 PM
Angry same here

I am really pissed, my truck, 2002 SCrew just yesterday come out of the shop for the previously mentioned overheating problem, when I got it home I looked underneath it to see what all they had replaced and I noticed that the right passenger boot was leaking grease everywhere, it was all over the place. I took it DIRECTLY back to them and they said that they would look at it today. They just called me and told me that they "didn't know" if this would be covered by my 75,000 mile extended warranty. (I am at 37,000 miles). I don't know what this is going to cost me, but I KNOW that it wasn't doing it when I took it in, it was TOO obvious for me to have missed all the grease everywhwere, and they put 200+ miles on it in 6 days of working on it. My truck hasn't seen 4x4 in 6 months at least and hasn't ever been seriously off road. I don't know but this sounds like a serious design problem. Especially if they won't cover it with warranty work.

Old 08-06-2003, 07:43 PM
MinnesotaFX4, is your SCrew a 2002 as well? I am concerned that FOMOCO may a material supplier issue with the supplier that furnishes the boots. If Your truck is a 2002, We now have evidence of (2) with the same exact problem.

Advice to both of you: Be polite to your Service Rep. at the dealership (This may be the first two reportings that could help bring a material supply issue to light and Service Rep. may not have a clue that a bunch of inferior product made in in to the assembly chain). Be insistant--if necessary go up the ladder to Zone Rep., Quality Dept. in Dearborn, MI or Vice President of Quality Control.

I am a warranty analyst for a large Global producer of Comercial vehicle components. I deal with supplier issues and warranty concerns five days a week. Good luck, and remember persistance and patience are key. Also, if you guys keep driving these trucks with damaged boots; moisture will damage CV joints and repair cost will be much more $$$$.

Quick Reply: CV Boot Warranty Rejected!??