serpintine belt install.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
serpintine belt install.....

after seeing some threads where the main complaint was getting the belt on while dealing with the tensioner and trying to go over the alternator pully last..i had replied that you should do it all from the bottom side and make the A/C pully last,as I had done this in the past...I confirmed it once again today by installing a new gator back belt on my truck,all from the bottom. the only time I worked from on top was to fed the belt between the tensioner and down to the A/C and then put the belt around the alternator and water pump pully ...then going under I put it around the crank and power sterring,then pulled on the tensioner and then put it around the A/C....of course my serpetine tool from Sears came in handy once again and has paid for itself many times over,a worthwhile investment....so here,s a tip for those contemplating belt replacment ..good luck

Old 05-04-2003, 04:15 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Excellent advice Tex.

Old 05-04-2003, 04:19 PM
where is the tension release i still need to put my gatorback on

Old 05-04-2003, 04:26 PM
just above the A/C compressor..pull down on it...thanks RP

Last edited by TexfordD; 05-04-2003 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-04-2003, 04:30 PM
another tip...

if you do use the sears tool you will have to unclip the tranny lines to and from the radiator,from the small bracket located at the front of the motor...they just won't let you have enough swing with the tool handle

Old 05-04-2003, 05:00 PM
The serpentine belt tool is a life saver to say the least. I remember the 1st time trying to change the alternator in my F150 in the parking lot. All I had was a 1/2" ratchet and trying to wedge that in between the fan and the tensioner, then trying to move it enough to get enough slack to put on the belt without using a cheater bar. It sucked. So I went out and bought a Lisle tool, best decision I ever made. As far as going from the bottom, I've never had a problem doing mine from the top. I put one on a 4.6L before and it wasn't hard at all to do from the top. I thought of going from the bottom, but that looked to make alot more work. Last time I did one on my dads 91 5.0L that was a 5 min job including spending the time to look for the tool in my box. I guess whatever works, but it still sounds like more work to go from the bottom.

Quick Reply: serpintine belt install.....