03 Expedition rear end removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 03:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 03 Expedition rear end removal

I'm doing a rear gear change next weekend on my 03 Expy. This thing has independent rear suspension. How do the rear axles come out? On the older ones (before 03) I'd remove the back cover and take out the c-clips. I looked for books but couldn't find anything on the 03.

Thank's, Jim

Old 05-10-2003, 06:58 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I havent looked at the rear of the new Expies but they should be C clipped. I would emagine you unbolt the half shaft from the flange to make room to pull the axles out when the C clips are removed.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 05-12-2003, 09:59 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't say for sure, but I suspect it's just a circlip that retains them in place... on most front wheel drives, that's all that holds it in place. Removing it is just a matter of using a bigger hammer. Don't hold me to that with the new trucks though... there very well could be a circlip or an e-clip on the inside end of the shaft. (Don't have the manual for those yet).

-Joe

Old 05-14-2003, 06:32 PM
Getting the rear end out was a piece of cake. There are less than 40 nuts & bolts including the 12 lug nuts. The axles are held in with spring clips. Put a screwdriver between the CV joint and the carrier and they pop right out. The gear change was easy. Bought the 4.56 at Randy's Ring & Pinion. The 3.73 will be on ebay in a couple of weeks. The only problem now is getting the speed-o-meter corrected. I dropped a note to SuperChips and was told the Microtuner doesn't work on any 03's yet. Any suggestions on how to fix the speedo?

Jim

Old 05-14-2003, 07:06 PM
EDIT: OOPS! GIJoeCam signed in under Skagel's username... DOUGHT!

Not too sure... where is the pickup at for the speedo? If it's not too much trouble, you may be able to knock off a couple of the teeth wherever the pickup is (assuming it's a hall-effect) but if it can't be done electronically, I dunno?

-Joe

Old 05-30-2003, 02:22 AM
I read somewhere that steeda has a speedo gear setup for what we need.
Steven

Quick Reply: 03 Expedition rear end removal